DysautoCookia

WinterSown

I made Poached Pears in the microwave. So easy. Put some chopped fresh or frozen fruit in the bottom of a microwave casserole, nestle in the peeled pears, drizzle with some syrup or sprinkle with some sugar (optional), I added some nutmeg (spice optional), cover and microwave using the frozen vegetable setting.  These can sometimes boil over in a shallow casserole so put a larger plate with some paper towels under the casserole to catch any drips.

poached pears.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I made a new one to me. I've made mac and cheese a zillion times but not in loaves. So, so easy. I wish I had known this when I was a newlywed!

I made mac and cheese in a loaf pan, chilled it, flipped it out,  cut even slices then wrapped them for the freezer. Defrost and heat in the microwave to eat as is or sear it in a hot pan on both sides.  I boiled a pound of pasta and made a two-cup white sauce throwing in every little bit of cheese I had in the fridge or freezer (my Mom's way). Added buttered panko to the top and baked them until bubbly.  Let it cool, then wrap and into the fridge overnight, then slice and serve or wrap as needed.  A pound of pasta will make enough for two 8x4" loaf pans. 

mac and cheese.jpg

58 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks @WinterSown - GREAT tip!!!!

Anything that I think works! You can do stuffing like this too. Stovetop is wonderful but even for us it may be too salty, and Hubs doesn't need it. 😞  Mac and Cheese is like chicken soup. Everybody does it their own way and it's all good. 

• 3 weeks later...

I made a free-form Chicken Parm Tart. This was so much better than take-out and took only six or seven minutes of prep. I used a store pie crust. I tried to keep the filling a couple of inches from the edge. I topped the crust first with a couple of handfuls of shredded mozza, then topped that with some leftover chicken parm that I chopped up, added some more mozza and some parmesan, then a handful of halved cherry tomatoes that I squeezed the seeds and juice out of. The edge of the piecrust I wet with a little water and then folded it up to make the brim, crimping a bit as I folded it towards the center. Baked it at 375 for about 25 minutes until it looked brown and was bubbly. I am happy with this. It cut so nice too. I could do a thousand variations with this based on what-have-yous in the fridge. Leftovers get fancy when you put them in a crust; eh, some old home-ec story :-)

Free Form Chicken Parm tart.jpg

21 hours ago, WinterSown said:

Leftovers get fancy when you put them in a crust

This line would not be out of place in (the gentler parts of ) E. Annie Proulx's wonderful (and, once upon a time, Pulitzer Prize winning) "The Shipping News".

“They say that doing ten sums a day prevents you from becoming senile. But by that argument bankers should be geniuses. That's not right. Thickest heads in the world.” 
 Annie Proulx, The Shipping News

2 hours ago, ScottS said:

This line would not be out of place in (the gentler parts of ) E. Annie Proulx's wonderful (and, once upon a time, Pulitzer Prize winning) "The Shipping News".

“They say that doing ten sums a day prevents you from becoming senile. But by that argument bankers should be geniuses. That's not right. Thickest heads in the world.” 
 Annie Proulx, The Shipping News

I watched that movie last year, very moody. My mom would say things like that, she was so down to earth and very practical. And she was a wiz with leftovers and could turn anything into a casserole--and they were all good. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

So - when will you open The Dysautonomia Restaurant? I will be there - well, if I have a good week. ( I guess a dysautonomia restaurant will not take reservations? ) 

Thank you LOL. If it's not easy I won't make it. I've very much enjoyed my new hobby of collecting old cookbooks, going through them and finding wonderful things to try. Today I made Arepas with masarepa blanco--white precooked cornmeal. OMG, so good AND so easy too. One batch made eight and half of them are going into the freezer. 

I do think it would be good for our community if we shared more of our fast and healthy ideas. Take-out is too expensive and too fatty. I'd rather make up something fast and quick and fresh for myself--the problem is that Hubs does not always want the same for dinner. Sigh. Tonight we share a bento box.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, WinterSown said:

I watched that movie last year, very moody. My mom would say things like that, she was so down to earth and very practical. And she was a wiz with leftovers and could turn anything into a casserole--and they were all good. 

I watched as much of the movie as I could stand. (Or for about 5 minutes.) Admittedly, it's tough when name brand actors are brought in to play characters one already knows well from reading the book (first).

That said, Kevin Spacey as Quoyle...ugh!!! 

"Hive-spangled, gut roaring with gas and cramp, he survived childhood; at the state university, hand clapped over his chin, he camouflaged torment with smiles and silence. Stumbled through his twenties and into his thirties learning to separate his feelings from his life, counting on nothing. He ate prodigiously, liked a ham knuckle, buttered spuds."

• 1 month later...

Meat Muffins!  Meatloaf made in muffin pans ready to go into the freezer.  I will bag them after they freeze. We love these. Just use your favorite meatloaf recipe. Bake at 325F for about 35 minutes, I basted with a squirt of ketchup. 

Ground meat was on sale and I bought a three pound pack which usually makes 24 muffins. These are also excellent with ground turkey instead of beef. 

meat muffins.jpg

I make these too, I have mini-loaf pans and they are sooo delicious and easy to freeze!!! I hve a recipe that used oats instead of breadcrumbs and I add flax seed to it as well. And chopped kale - yummy AND healthy!!!!! They come out really moist due to the kale. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I make these too, I have mini-loaf pans and they are sooo delicious and easy to freeze!!! I hve a recipe that used oats instead of breadcrumbs and I add flax seed to it as well. And chopped kale - yummy AND healthy!!!!! They come out really moist due to the kale. 

That sound delicious. Meatloaf is like Chicken Soup. Everyone makes it their way and it's all good. These are a freezer staple for us nowadays. 

On 1/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, WinterSown said:

I made a free-form Chicken Parm Tart. This was so much better than take-out and took only six or seven minutes of prep. I used a store pie crust. I tried to keep the filling a couple of inches from the edge. I topped the crust first with a couple of handfuls of shredded mozza, then topped that with some leftover chicken parm that I chopped up, added some more mozza and some parmesan, then a handful of halved cherry tomatoes that I squeezed the seeds and juice out of. The edge of the piecrust I wet with a little water and then folded it up to make the brim, crimping a bit as I folded it towards the center. Baked it at 375 for about 25 minutes until it looked brown and was bubbly. I am happy with this. It cut so nice too. I could do a thousand variations with this based on what-have-yous in the fridge. Leftovers get fancy when you put them in a crust; eh, some old home-ec story :-)

Free Form Chicken Parm tart.jpg

I could get on board with this. 

21 hours ago, WinterSown said:

Meat Muffins!  Meatloaf made in muffin pans ready to go into the freezer.  I will bag them after they freeze. We love these. Just use your favorite meatloaf recipe. Bake at 325F for about 35 minutes, I basted with a squirt of ketchup. 

Ground meat was on sale and I bought a three pound pack which usually makes 24 muffins. These are also excellent with ground turkey instead of beef. 

meat muffins.jpg

I know this sounds crazy, but I saw it on a cooking show. Ketchup on meatloaf and then put brown gravy over that and cook. I tried it and it was pretty good. Another good meal is making gyro meat and tziziki. I mix lamb and beef.