Got the dreaded diagnosis and off to the doctor

As if having POTS wasn't enough, I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Today it is off to see the breast surgeon. I am really scared oot only because of the cancer but how POTS could rear its ugly head during treatment and recovery. Please think good thoughts for me! Any advice frrom someone who has personally dealt with this issue (I don't know the right word for this) would be more than welcome. Of course, I hope that none of my friends here are in this situation. It's off to the doc!

Oh My! I'll be thinking the best, healing thoughts on your behalf. I've had a number of friends go through what you're going through...and my youngest sister, who's had 4 lumpectomies (all before she was 25). All I can say is from my view (not being the person with cancer)--my friends and sister went through an emotional rollercoaster, and a physical rollercoaster. Be as kind as you can to your body; rest as much as you can, and follow your doctor or other health professional's advice as they've lived through the process with many patients before you.

I'm imagining it will be a bit tougher for you with POTS (isn't everything?)... but I'm also hoping you get through this to a healthy outcome on the other side.

Nina

hi,

i'm sending you hugs and good thoughts, i've not had cancer but i found a lump in my breast when i was 19 and had to have it removed it was the scariest four months of my life, two before the operation and two after waiting to hear what it was.

just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best for your treatment.

becky

x x x

Goldicedance,

I will surely be sending healing thoughts and vibes your way as you begin your recovery. Breast cancer has very high cure rates these days, so try to keep that in mind. However, the treatments can be difficult and very fatigue-inducing, as well as mentally exhausting. Best of luck to you. If you can make it with POTS, you can make it through cancer. Stay positive.

Amy

My positive thoughts and energies are headed your way. On the brighter side, I have two friends who have battled breast cancer, and both have won so far. POTS will make things more difficult, but not impossible. You can do it, and we will be here with you.

Guest Julia59

Goldicedance,

I'm really sorry to hear of your breast cancer diagnosis. It is good to know they have been doing so much research in that area and you will have the best chance at making it go away.

A friend of mine had breast cancer and she is doing great 10 years later! She was in a later stage of it but still survived, and is doing so well today. :angry:

My brother in law who had non-hodgekins lymphoma (spelling?) was also a cancer survivor and he went to her side to give her encouragement to show her she could make it. He was in stage 4----and survived! It's been 12 years for him--- :lol:

You will be OK...............Talk with the Doc who treats your POTS and let him/her know so they can help you through this without the ugly POTS head popping out of the soil.............. B)

Sending a big hug your way--------you with my in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

Julie :0)

GoldiceDance, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of breast cancer and wish you all the best fighting this disease. Take one day at a time and know that you have plenty of support from all of us here, as well as from your family and friends. I will keep you in my thoughts. Beth

goldicedance -

many kind & wise words have already been offered that i wholeheartedly second, but mainly i just wanted to send a big (((((HUG))))) your way - for you and your family. you will be in my thoughts & prayers.

hang in there,

:-)melissa

Hi Goldicedance, Hope your day wasn't too tough... I have not experienced this firsthand, but went through it twice with my mom. I'm not sure what the plan will be for you in regards to surgery, but if that happens it would be good to consider having IV hydration pre-surgery as well as in the weeks following. It might make a considerable improvement to your recovery. It's a scary thing to go thru, especially not knowing how your body might react following, but take things as they come and focus on the immediate tasks/problem. That might help keep things from becoming too overwhelming. My mom doesn't have POTS, but has fibromyalgia and IBS so I'm sure recovery was a little slower and maybe a little tougher than the norm, but I think on the whole, she did well. Please PM me if you have any questions about anything or just want to know a little more about her experience. I'd be happy to chat. Laura

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I had a couple of breast lumps (fortunately benign) removed back in college. So I can imagine a little of what you're going thru. Please take care of yourself and keep us posted on how you're doing. You'll be in my thoughts.

of course we won't forget you!!!

glad to hear you have a plan; for those i've known in similar situations they've felt a bit better when the "game plan" has been set. (not saying all is well, but just that it can be better than having no clue what the next step is...)

do you have a date for your surgery yet?

love & hugs & prayers & sunshine & smiles,

:-)melissa

Hi Goldicedance,

I will be praying for you and your family. I had a very rare cancer 10 years ago that almost took my life but it was a very aggressive bone and nerve cancer. I had very intense chemo treatments every three weeks for a year, two months of radiation and 5 surgeries. I was hospitalized 150 days out of that year because I was treated at a Children's Hospital (I was only 20) and they just do things differently for kids than they do adults. So if I can get through that, I KNOW you'll be able to get through this just fine!!! Keep your thoughts positive!!! If you don't have to have chemo then you shouldn't lose your hair. You'll probably feel more tired than anything from the radiation and a little nauseous. I'm not sure what your POTS symptoms include, but just plain on taking it easy and when you need to sleep, make sure you sleep. Don't try to be a super hero!!!

Do you have friends or family that can make some meals for you and your family? It would be helpful to have some casseroles and easy foods on hand so you wouldn't have to worry about that. All I wanted was graham crackers and warm tea. Everyone is different, just remember that you are strong and when the weak moments come, it's okay and it's okay to rely on others.

You'll do great!!! We are all praying for you. Please keep us posted on your treatments and how you are.