Flu shot or not to flu shot?

KristaKupcake

Does anyone else get the flu shot? I haven’t gotten it yet this year and normally I get it faithfully every year. I’m kind of anxious about getting it but I don’t want to risk getting the flu either.

Just wondering if anyone gets the flu shot each year? My fiancé has asthma, as well as the rest of my immediate family. I normally work in the health care field myself and I have a past history of cancer so normally it is a good idea for me to get it. 

Krista

4 minutes ago, p8d said:

My ANS Dr tells me to get one every year.  I have had one the past three years, sore arm but that’s all.  Maybe fatigue but I am always fatigued so who knows?  Much better than getting the flu.

I agree. I am a little afraid of side effects but I’m more afraid to get a full blown flu - I don’t want to imagine what that would be like when not feeling great to begin with 

I have never gotten it. I would ask whoever is giving you the shot if it is a live virus. If it is I would see if you can get one without it if you are worried about your immune system response. My sister in law used to get them every year but then she would get the flu. If she didn't get the shot she didn't get the flu. It happened for over 10 years. So now she just doesn't get the shot. 

15 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I have never gotten it. I would ask whoever is giving you the shot if it is a live virus. If it is I would see if you can get one without it if you are worried about your immune system response. My sister in law used to get them every year but then she would get the flu. If she didn't get the shot she didn't get the flu. It happened for over 10 years. So now she just doesn't get the shot. 

Thank you for the info - I will ask if it is a live virus or not 👍🏻. I never would have thought to ask. 

I get the flu shot every year typically. The one year I didn’t get it years ago I ended up getting the flu. I certainly do not want to risk getting sick this year ☹️

I was concerned about this last year since I'm already barely functioning and asked my doctors a lot about it. They said my inflammation could go up (a problem for me in particular) and there could be some uncomfortable symptoms for a little while, but if I got the flu inflammation and all the symptoms would be so many times worse that it's absolutely not worth the risk of skipping the shot. And after some research to double check what they said, I absolutely agree. I'm just getting old enough to start thinking through some of these decisions for myself and getting the flu shot each year is a decision I'm very confident in.  I hope this helps :)

P.s. I also suffer from asthma so the FluMist option is a no go for me, I have to do the injected vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Darth_Sarah said:

I was concerned about this last year since I'm already barely functioning and asked my doctors a lot about it. They said my inflammation could go up (a problem for me in particular) and there could be some uncomfortable symptoms for a little while, but if I got the flu inflammation and all the symptoms would be so many times worse that it's absolutely not worth the risk of skipping the shot. And after some research to double check what they said, I absolutely agree. I'm just getting old enough to start thinking through some of these decisions for myself and getting the flu shot each year is a decision I'm very confident in.  I hope this helps :)

P.s. I also suffer from asthma so the FluMist option is a no go for me, I have to do the injected vaccine. 

Thank you for the response - I feel more confident now to get the vaccine 😊

Thank you everyone for your feedback 😊

I got my flu shot a few hours ago. My arm is already sore, despite moving it around to keep it from getting stiff 😜.

I know tonight I should sleep well - I usually get really tired the same day I’ve had the vaccine. Pleasant side effect 👍🏻

Hopefully this thread will help others if they are unsure about the vaccine in the future. 

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have been hesitant to get one (got shot every year before developing POTS, but since my diagnosis have felt like I’m generally more sensitive to things, have had abnormal responses to things I used to tolerate), but I might be brave and get one. I work in a pharmacy and have sick people coughing on me all day! And I got the flu last year. It was two weeks of awfulness. 

12 hours ago, Hippopotsamus said:

Thanks everybody for your responses. I have been hesitant to get one (got shot every year before developing POTS, but since my diagnosis have felt like I’m generally more sensitive to things, have had abnormal responses to things I used to tolerate), but I might be brave and get one. I work in a pharmacy and have sick people coughing on me all day! And I got the flu last year. It was two weeks of awfulness. 

I was really scared to get the shot because I’m hypersensitive as well since my POTS symptoms started. I can say now that other than a sore arm, I haven’t had any adverse effects from the shot. Definitely better to be protected than to chance getting the flu - especially since you work in a pharmacy.