Winter Blues

green

It got cold where I live this week: <35 degrees, with snow. I often have a chunk of good days in the fall September - November. Then when it gets cold, I become dreamy, sleepy, unable to get going at work.

I had a bad day yesterday: took coffee and nicotine because I needed to get a lot done. Had an anxiety attack. Then I was tired. Sluggish all day.

Today I am just in a daze or fog. Even though it is in the 40's. 

Do other dysautonomics experience this? I assume that it has to do with a couple things: a) dry air due to furnace operations, b) temperation variation (indoor/outdoor) being a shock on the system (I walk to and from work these days for exercise, since I'm having intolerance to worse exercise), c) the barometric pressure is always wonky when it snows.

Advice? I need to drink more water, but that's not going to be enough. 

I have also been dealing with some heavy fatigue for the past week. I felt too weak to physically move from the couch at times, and like I could fall asleep while standing in line at the checkout. Brain fog is also worse, I've been spacing out more and find it hard to concentrate when people are talking to me. From what I've read on this forum, it seems a lot of people with POTS or dysautonomia struggle during this time of year. Like you said it could be the combination of the seasonal changes, temperature fluctuations (it's cold outside but often overheated indoors in many places which can provoke vasodilation/vasoconstriction), plus an abundance of flu and other viruses floating around. And yes, the dry air definitely makes you feel dehydrated.

Before I'd always found winter a doozy compared to summer, as the heat can really exacerbate my symptoms. But I've been flaring badly since the beginning October. It started with a stomach bug. Your body might be fighting off the start of a cold or flu. Today I went for an interview and I don't know if it was the effort of climbing stairs or the fact they had the central heating on full blast, but I felt so ill and faint I could barely concentrate, and immediately had to ask for a glass of water. I've also been having a lot of anxiety in relation to my symptoms worsening (though thankfully a month later my HR is finally coming down to my previously POTSy 'normal'.) If it's any consolation even my fittest healthiest friends have told me they're feeling wiped out from the seasons changing! This weather just makes everyone want to curl up and hibernate. I hope you feel better soon.

@green - yes, seasonal changes always cause my symptoms to worsen. In my case spring is the worst. In the winter I do OK as long as I am inside but when I go outside for just a short time that is when I feel it. It takes a while to come back to normal. And I also feel sluggish during those times. It has been mentioned that barometric pressure has a direct impact on our cardiovascular system, I also notice sudden changes right before a thunderstorm hits. 

I seem to be having issues this week too. I have always loved the winter but this winter seems to be harder than usual. I had a flare last night while I was cooking. I was putting food on my youngest son's plate and had to give the plate to my hubby because I all of a sudden felt dizzy. Checked my garmin a few minutes later and it turns out I hit over 150. It wiped me out the rest of the night. I am not sure what I did yesterday to cause it but it seems like the unstableness of the weather this last month and having to turn my heater on feels related. 

I’m feeling more exhausted this week. We’ve recently had to start turning on the heat here due to the cooler temperatures. I’m noticing I’m feeling more fatigued / tired during the day than I usually do.  A few weeks ago I feel a bit of energy around 1-2 pm but not so much now. I’m still continuing to do some exercise in the evenings when I feel better but it has been a bit of a struggle lately. I was waiting in a doctors office today and I got so tired. I started moving my legs and pumping my calves to get my blood flowing and to keep from getting too tired. Getting up in the mornings send to be harder too - I’m fighting just staying in bed. 

20 minutes ago, KristaKupcake said:

I’m feeling more exhausted this week. We’ve recently had to start turning on the heat here due to the cooler temperatures. I’m noticing I’m feeling more fatigued / tired during the day than I usually do.  A few weeks ago I feel a bit of energy around 1-2 pm but not so much now. I’m still continuing to do some exercise in the evenings when I feel better but it has been a bit of a struggle lately. I was waiting in a doctors office today and I got so tired. I started moving my legs and pumping my calves to get my blood flowing and to keep from getting too tired. Getting up in the mornings send to be harder too - I’m fighting just staying in bed. 

Do you have a gas heater?

11 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Do you have a gas heater?

No I have electric baseboard heaters. There are 4 of them in this room (living room/dining room) and 1 in each bedroom. I live in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment. I keep the heat lower so it isn’t too hot (18 degrees Celsius / 64 degrees Fahrenheit). I keep the bedrooms cooler at 12 Celsius / 55 Fahrenheit). At times I will lower the living room a bit cooler depending on how I’m feeling.

14 hours ago, KristaKupcake said:

No I have electric baseboard heaters. There are 4 of them in this room (living room/dining room) and 1 in each bedroom. I live in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment. I keep the heat lower so it isn’t too hot (18 degrees Celsius / 64 degrees Fahrenheit). I keep the bedrooms cooler at 12 Celsius / 55 Fahrenheit). At times I will lower the living room a bit cooler depending on how I’m feeling.

I was hoping maybe it was a type of heat in the winter causing issues but I guess that doesn't work. 

There were 2 days that I did not exercise and then the following 2 days I did not feel well. Maybe I just need to keep exercising to keep feeling well. I’ve been sticking to mild / moderate (for me) exercise for about 25-30 minutes a day. I do the treadmill and some squats/crunches/weights (light). Sunday can be my rest day at times. I always feel wiped out for the rest of the evening after exercising but the next day I feel okay.