Oral contraceptives to Paragard

Hippopotsamus

4 hours ago, Hippopotsamus said:

Hello, I wondered if anyone else saw improvement after stopping hormonal birth control?

I've wondered this myself and would love to hear people's experiences. I'm sterile anyway and far too unwell for intimacy so the birth control aspect is irrelevant to me but I've been on it since long before POTS in order to avoid periods. I used to take the combined pill continuously, but switched to the nuvaring continuously (no difference, better or worse).

I have wondered about coming off this but did used to have heavy periods years ago (was completely well with it, nothing more than a nuisance in those days), but have heard many with POTS say their cycle worsens things and go on birth control to help their POTS. 

Sorry if this is too personal but have you had a period yet since coming off it and if so how was that?

PS forgot to add my resting HR tends to be low normal and my main issue is symptoms (presyncope, orthostatic intolerance) rather than HR numbers. 

B x

I was just diagnosed with endometriosis last month, and I’m currently now taking progestin only pills to hopefully lessen or stop my periods all together. Estrogen is not my friend! I’ve never been able to link my POTS symptoms to my menstrual cycles, as they have been happening so frequently... But it will be interesting to see if these meds make a difference overall. 

My fitbit has also been recording lower numbers, but I attribute that to Ivabradine. 

The first period that I had after switching was pretty heavy, but I just had my 3rd period, and it’s getting lighter. I was quick to jump on the pill bandwagon too after giving birth (I developed POTS during pregnancy), and was worried that my period might make my symptoms worse. But I feel so much better without the hormones. I wasn’t expecting that. 

2 hours ago, Hippopotsamus said:

The first period that I had after switching was pretty heavy, but I just had my 3rd period, and it’s getting lighter. I was quick to jump on the pill bandwagon too after giving birth (I developed POTS during pregnancy), and was worried that my period might make my symptoms worse. But I feel so much better without the hormones. I wasn’t expecting that. 

Do you feel then that your POTS is better overall without the pill? I am not bothered about heavy or painful bleeding per se - piece of cake compared to living with this 😉 - but I wouldn't want the blood loss or the hormonal fluctuations to worsen my already severe OI. 

Interesting that you developed it during pregnancy - a time of no menstrual cycles - and then still felt bad with the pill which effectively "mimics" the pregnant state. 

I never had POTS during my pregnancies and was on the pill right up until starting IVF drugs (tubal infertility) then right back on it after giving birth, so I've not actually had a natural menstrual cycle in about 10 years. I developed POTS when my daughter (last child) was 14 months.

I do recall though that I had quite a long cycle (could be 5-6 weeks) so best case scenario I might get a few decent weeks for each bad week, I'm just scared to take the plunge. 

It is great to hear of someone feeling better off hormonal birth control as most experiences seem to be the other way round.

B x