ER visit after full syncope

Lainy

I had just finished cooking dinner forĀ my family and sat to eat, about half way through eating I felt intensely dizzy and then passed out right on the table. Family says they couldn't wake me for several minutes.Ā  They insisted on taking me to the ER because it scared them but I honestly was strangely calm, didn't feel worried or panicked. Kind of detached, actually.Ā 

I haveĀ been struggling with headaches and vertigo for over a week thatĀ start about noon and gradually get worse through the evening but that was the first time I had even come close to passing out. I haven't been able to tie the headaches and vertigo to anything. In the ER they ran every test they could think of, including chest xray,Ā  EKG, head CT, blood panel, etc but everything came back perfectly clear except for showing I was a little dehydrated. (despite my mandatory 3+ liters a day)

I've had no mediation or dietary changes, either.Ā 

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas of how to ease the dizziness and prevent any more episodes where I pass out? I was very lucky to be sitting when it happened this time.Ā 

Hmm. Well it's reassuring that all your test results came back normal. The fact it happened halfway through eating is an interesting nuance though. As I've said before, the vagus nerve is often very sensitive in POTS patients, especially if the GI tract is irritated in any way i.e through reflux, spicy food etc. It can trigger palpitations, a drop in blood pressure...some people even faint after heavy coughing fits or straining on the toilet! Sounds like an episode of vasovagal syncope. Have you been ill or experienced a virus recently? Maybe you were doing too much at the time. Do you have a blood pressure cuff at home to take before and after these episodes? Do you suffer from reflux or other digestion issues?

@Lainy - I have NCS and hyperadrenergic POTS and used to pass out or take autonomic seizures ( like convulsive syncope ) several times a week or even several times a day sometimes. I also had this happen while eating often, just like you describe. Usually I am only out for up to 1 minutes or less. The extreme dizziness you describe is pre-syncope and if it happens again you need to lie on the floor immediately to avoid injuries. You should ask for a referral to a cardiologist. In the meantime drink fluids, increase salt intake and get fitted for compression hose - that is the usual NCS treatment. Also - check your pulse when you get dizzy and measure your BP.Ā  The vertigo and headaches could just be from low BP but also can be more serious, so I would get them checked. Did the ER give you any meds for the dizziness? I used to take Meclizine for that and it helped. Please follow up with your PCP and cardiologist or neurologist. They may even want to order a MRI of your brain. Best of luck!!!!!!!

Thank you for the replies and infoĀ 
@PistolĀ I have a cardiologist that isn't interested in further testing or medication, but that was before I started having issues with dizziness and passing out. I have a follow up planned with my PCP next week and the ER did suggest asking about a neurologist, so that's definitely something I'll push.Ā 
I will try wearing my compression hose for a few days and see if it helps in the meantime. I feel like I'm already overloaded on salt, but everyone keeps telling me more, more, more - so I'll try and boost that.Ā 

Do you usually have more issues with vertigo and syncope in the afternoon/evening? I'm usually just fine in the mornings, it's weird.Ā 

Since I am properly medicated (well - as "properly" as it gets) I am doing much better in the am and get worse as the day goes by. But when I was unstable it did not matter what time of day - I could pass out any time. My dizziness was always there but not severe. It was mostly that when I was walking I would all over sudden feel like a trap door opened and I was falling - but just for a few seconds. Only much ;ater did I develop longer spells of dizziness and Meclizine did help for that, in addition to being very inactive. That is still the reason I no longer pass out all of the time and my surges are less: I am very much limited in activities. Lots os rest periods and very little walking. A a matter of fact - I barely ever leave the house. But - I am standing!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 11:16 AM, Lainy said:

I had just finished cooking dinner forĀ my family and sat to eat, about half way through eating I felt intensely dizzy and then passed out right on the table. Family says they couldn't wake me for several minutes.Ā  They insisted on taking me to the ER because it scared them but I honestly was strangely calm, didn't feel worried or panicked. Kind of detached, actually.Ā 

I haveĀ been struggling with headaches and vertigo for over a week thatĀ start about noon and gradually get worse through the evening but that was the first time I had even come close to passing out. I haven't been able to tie the headaches and vertigo to anything. In the ER they ran every test they could think of, including chest xray,Ā  EKG, head CT, blood panel, etc but everything came back perfectly clear except for showing I was a little dehydrated. (despite my mandatory 3+ liters a day)

I've had no mediation or dietary changes, either.Ā 

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas of how to ease the dizziness and prevent any more episodes where I pass out? I was very lucky to be sitting when it happened this time

This happened to me in October 2017. I was out to eat at Olive garden. I was leaned fwd eating and I leaned back when I was done. I got lightheaded which didn't alarm me at first because it's happened before, but it progressed really quickly far more than I ever experienced. I got really hot and started sweating. I told my family something is wrong . Then my vision and hearing and ability to move went away. The scariest thing was, I was aware. I was so weak I couldn't move or speak. When I was in the ambulance, the paramedic told me my blood pressure is coming back up. It was so hard to speak even then.Ā 

Ā 

I developed serious PTSD after. The doctor shrugged it off. It took 3 fainting spells to get doctors attention. Although it the 2nd and 3rd weren't as bad. I could still move but I felt the fainting feeling and tingling in my hands and arms just like the very first faint.

Ā 

The other day I felt like I was going to faint at Walgreens. I'm usually in bed all day because of my symptoms. But that day my wife drove me to the doctors and we had to do a couple more errands. So I was upright for about 4 hours. I think that's what caused episode at Walgreens.Ā 

Ā 

Otherwise I don't feel lightheaded as a symptom. It just hits me. Usually I feel nauseated all day. A weird feeling in my stomach. Hot flashes. Weak. Out of breath by simple tasks like taking out the trash. I'm 31 and my job was walking for 8 plus hours so definitely not the norm. Hot flashes might be the new meds I'm on though idk.Ā 

Ā 

The only way I've been avoiding it is laying down like an elderly person almost all day. Sigh

6 hours ago, Derek1987 said:

Hotļ»æļ»æ flashes might be the new meds I'm on though idk.Ā ļ»æ

My son and I both get hot flashes. I will be bundled up because it is 68 in the house. He will be doing dishes or something and talk about how hot it is. I shake my head and tell him he is hot flashing. His come back is he can't be hot flashing because he isn't as old as Grandma. (My mom is menopausal). Lol.Ā  I make his check his HR and it is usually 120 or higher. When I hot flash I am 125 or higher. I usually hot flash waiting in line at the grocery store.Ā 

2 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

My son and I both get hot flashes. I will be bundled up because it is 68 in the house. He will be doing dishes or something and talk about how hot it is. I shake my head and tell him he is hot flashing. His come back is he can't be hot flashing because he isn't as old as Grandma. (My mom is menopausal). Lol.Ā  I make his check his HR and it is usually 120 or higher. When I hot flash I am 125 or higher. I usually hot flash waiting in line at the grocery store.Ā 

Do y'all sweat when you have them?