Jump to content

Possible gastroperisis!


Recommended Posts

Well, after a week of almost completely normal stomach and bowel function, I started to eat like a normal person again. Earlier this morning, about 12 hours after the meal I ate, I was racked with level 9 pain in my entire abdomen. I was praying to God for help, tossing and turning, moving from the bed to the chair, back to the bed. I could not get comfortable and I could not go to the bathroom. Then I began throwing up all of my food. Undigested pieces of egg, bacon, and other stuff. I was still in intense pain, then threw up again, then when I threw up the third time a bunch of yellow sour acid came out. It burned my throat it was so horrid. I then felt a thump inside where my liver and gallbladder is and the pain finally subsided after three hours. I'm afraid to eat today, afraid to even take my medications right now. I don't want the misery to come back. I have never had pain that intense before. Now even longer since this morning, I'm still getting periodic food burps. The last time this happened was 2 years ago, but I threw up the food 1 hour after eating. I usually get this I have to throw up feeling, but most times if I wait it out and force going number 2, the nausea goes away. I don't see any other way that this could not be gastro, because 12 hours later food was still in my stomach. I just don't know if it is being caused by Clonidine and my pain meds, which can cause gastro-symproms, or if it is due to damage from diabetes or autonomic dysfunction. It is h*** to have this going on. Time to start living off of soups I guess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like possible gastroparesis from what my sister in law has told me. They have to do the egg test first to confirm though. Diabetes can cause gastroparesis. That being said there are times I wonder if POTS can give you the same symptoms on a cycle. Like the nervous system just stop working around your stomach and intestines. 

Good luck with the soup and I hope you feel better soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@blizzard2014 - please see your doc ASAP for these symptoms. I know you are a diabetic and throwing up like that - and not eating - can be very serious. Whether it is gastroparesis or a stomach virus - you need to let your doctor know what is going on!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

@blizzard2014 - please see your doc ASAP for these symptoms. I know you are a diabetic and throwing up like that - and not eating - can be very serious. Whether it is gastroparesis or a stomach virus - you need to let your doctor know what is going on!!!!

Pistol, I was almost ready to dial 911, but after the third round of barfing, I felt better and the level 9 pain was gone. I was thinking possible pancreatitis. I will try and get a better doc. All of this is way above my current doc's head. It wasn't a food virus. I would be still sick and dry heaving. I felt better once all that sour acid was out of my stomach. I'm sipping diet iced tea and managed to get my meds down 20 minutes ago. I also have huge amounts of stress as my cat is sick with cancer and might have to be put down tomorrow. That is why I ate so much food. I eat when I'm depressed, but my stomach cannot tolerate normal amounts of food any longer. I wish I had a lot of money and could just find a Dr. House type doctor. I can't even get 15 mins with my current doc, and he spends most of that time in front of a computer typing. I mostly diagnose myself and he give me meds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

It sounds like possible gastroparesis from what my sister in law has told me. They have to do the egg test first to confirm though. Diabetes can cause gastroparesis. That being said there are times I wonder if POTS can give you the same symptoms on a cycle. Like the nervous system just stop working around your stomach and intestines. 

Good luck with the soup and I hope you feel better soon. 

Thanks for the response. I know it has to be a slow gut, just hope it is more medicine related and not permanent. It does cycle for me as I had 1 full week of going to the bathroom full amounts 4 times a day and then being cleared out to eat normal meals. I mean normal as in a sandwich and some chips. What I ate last night was not normal at all. It was how I used to eat two years ago before POTS kicked in. I would get depressed and just eat and eat and eat the pain away. I had 6 cooked eggs, 12 pieces of bacon, 4 biscuits, and 2 large cherry turnovers. I knew it was going to come back to bite me and even said it to a family member. My cat is dying and I can't get the look of her wasting away not eating since last Sunday out of my head. I went and saw her again today and she is still in rough shape. If her blood work is not improving by tomorrow, they might have to put her down. She hates the vets and I didn't want her last days to be spent there, but she was suffering laying inside her litter box in pain all day on Sunday. I took her to the vet before work and they admitted her. She had already been there a few days prior to get blood work as she lost 3 pounds and was barely eating. Just drinking like crazy and peeing 7 times a day. I thought it would be thyroid or kidney, turned out to be a rare bone cancer Multiple Myeloma, that only 3 percent of cats ever get. A very rare illness. She was my support. But being as sick as I was earlier today, it might be easier if she is put down, because I cannot care for an animal in my current state. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Dr. House comment. I have said the same to my hubby :D

I am sorry you are losing your cat. I think cats are the perfect companion for our condition because they are independent but they also help us feel better. 

It is possible it was a one time thing just from eating so much, but I would still see if your doc could give you a referral for a GI specialist.

I didn't know medicines could cause gastroparesis. That may have been the issue with my sister in law considering she wasn't diabetic when she developed it. They have diagnosised her diabetic now but it isn't really. It is like her blood sugar levels are backwards. She is high during the night but bottoms out during the day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@blizzard2014 - I am so sorry about your cat. I know how heart wrenching the decision to put your pet down is, I had to do it to my pets before. But remember - when they suffer like that then we are doing them a favor by ending the suffering for them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pistol said:

@blizzard2014 - I am so sorry about your cat. I know how heart wrenching the decision to put your pet down is, I had to do it to my pets before. But remember - when they suffer like that then we are doing them a favor by ending the suffering for them. 

That is so true Pistol, but this is the second cat to be put down in 2 years. It is taking a toll on me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

I love the Dr. House comment. I have said the same to my hubby :D

I am sorry you are losing your cat. I think cats are the perfect companion for our condition because they are independent but they also help us feel better. 

It is possible it was a one time thing just from eating so much, but I would still see if your doc could give you a referral for a GI specialist.

I didn't know medicines could cause gastroparesis. That may have been the issue with my sister in law considering she wasn't diabetic when she developed it. They have diagnosised her diabetic now but it isn't really. It is like her blood sugar levels are backwards. She is high during the night but bottoms out during the day. 

Sometimes pre-diabetes can cause damage in some people, including gastroparesis. Maybe that is what happened to your sister. Some people develop it for no known reason. Yes, certain meds that slow down the digestive tract like Narcotic pain meds, Clonidine, and certain antidepressants and blood pressure meds can also cause gastro-like symptoms. It's been almost 48 hour since ingesting food, only taking sips of iced tea for now. Might try and eat a can of clam chowder later on tonight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, blizzard2014 said:

Sometimes pre-diabetes can cause damage in some people, including gastroparesis. Maybe that is what happened to your sister. Some people develop it for no known reason. Yes, certain meds that slow down the digestive tract like Narcotic pain meds, Clonidine, and certain antidepressants and blood pressure meds can also cause gastro-like symptoms. It's been almost 48 hour since ingesting food, only taking sips of iced tea for now. Might try and eat a can of clam chowder later on tonight. 

Her doctor told her it was the worse case he had seen in someone who was not diabetic. She also has celiac so eating difficult for her. 

Glad to see you are feeling better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Her doctor told her it was the worse case he had seen in someone who was not diabetic. She also has celiac so eating difficult for her. 

Glad to see you are feeling better. 

I am some better. Only have eaten 1 can of clam chowder since Wednesday night. 300 calories. I am able to tolerate one cup of iced coffee and some iced tee as well. If I would have eaten more than that can of soup last night, I would have been in horrid pain again. I passed all the soup out in 12 hours. It came out this morning liquid. I will be seeing my doc this coming week and bring this up to see if I can get a gastric emptying study, and if that is all good, it has to be my gallstones acting up and time to remove the gallbladder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like gastroparesis, like everyone else said. I have it and the pain level is unreal. It feels like you vomit until there are no fluids left in your body, then you get dehydrated, which made me faint. Yes, to a gastro. Yes to the glowing eggs test. I take a med called Domperidone, but it isn't FDA approved, so many docs won't write a script for it. It changed my life though. It is widely used in Europe and Canada and can be compounded in the US. It doesn't work for everyone. I guess it depends on what kind you have. I would say stick to soups, eggs without the bacon etc, and yogurt and see if that helps until you can get to the doctor. 

Hang in there. Gastroparesis pain is just awful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...