What made you choose your username?

My screen name came from my love for the color purple and the word focus was used for an acronym that I learned from camp years ago. So I just put them together. Made sense to me........lol. I feel so much better today, thanks for everyones encouragement yesterday.

purplefocus B)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved to Auburn from Dallas, TX and it took me awhile to figure it all out..there are several stories on how War Eagle came about..I'll tell you my favorite.

The legend goes..many years ago a soldier was fighting in a battle when he found a wounded eagle. The soldier nurses the eagle back to health and returns home..to Alabama with the magestic bird...The soldier..being a true southerner brings the eagle with him to watch his beloved Auburn Tigers play their arch rivals the Georgia Bulldogs...(or something like that)..during the game the Tigers were struggling and loosing their spirit..suddenly without warning the eagle takes flight..it soars around the field circling the players..the crowd is inspired and begins chanting WAR EAGLE...the Tigers then pull themselves up out of the trenches and win the game.  Since that day our "battle cry" has been War Eagle.

If I'm not mistaken, the golden standard was an eagle statue which the roman troops carried wherever they went in battle. They had to protect it with their lives.

Just a thought B)

I've had this screen name with one or 2 k's for about 7 years now. The 42 is probably pretty obvious to you Douglas Adams fans. (It's the answer to the universe, according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

I don't remember where I came up with Lukychrm- I never liked the cereal, I'm not generally endowed with good luck, and I don't have a lucky talisman or anything like that. Hmmm... it sure seems hard for people to spell correctly, though. :angry:

Like the thread. I also feel I may need to change my username. No creativity here!

Mom because, a duh, I am one and 4, me being clever used the number rather than just writing for, and the cem is the first initial for each of my three childrens name.

Woo hoo, orginality is not in my name!

BuddyLeesWife

?Wife? so that you would know that I am participating in the forum on behalf of my husband who has NCS.

?Buddy Lee? because I am married to a real life man of action. This disorder beats him up but he keeps getting back up, brushing himself off and taking on what life has to offer. One of my friends said that many times what attracts you to your mate is what also ends up frustrating you. I am frustrated that he refuses to accept limitations and life changes demanded by this disorder and just charges ahead, sometimes provoking a crash but then he gets back up, brushes off? (you get the picture).

Buddy Lee - 14-inch spokes-doll dressed in blue jeans and checked flannel shirt that starred in the death-defying Lee Dungarees ad campaign created by the Fallon McEllingott Agency in 1998. In each commercial Buddy Lee, "Man of Action" battled car fires, twisters and close calls with farm machinery while attempting to rescue babies, pets and other things from disasters. The commercials highlighted the durability of Lee Dungarees as they were blown up, set on fire and rammed through the trunk of a tree (with poor Buddy Lee inside them). The Buddy Lee character first appeared as a promotional item in 1921

No creativity here either. My daughter's name is Giuliana. I was a Peace Corps volunteer in southern Africa in the 1990's. In the Tswana, Kalanga (and other regional) cultures, when the first child is born, the mother's name permanently changes to "Mma first-born child's name", like Mmagiuliana or literally MomtoGiuliana. So, that's how I selected my name! Katherine

i am so enjoying reading everyone's "behind the scenes" name stories...

even some of the "obvious" ones have so much more to them...

like the south african history behind Katherine's MomToGuiliana...

and BuddyLeesWife, who i'm embarassed to admit i thought had a husband whose actual name was/is Buddy Lee...

and eagles & roses & wolves & princesses & more...

and for those of you lamenting your more straightforward names, i appreciate them greatly b/c it eases my having to keep track of two names for you!

:-)melissa

:rolleyes: Funnyfrog - I love making people laugh and am pretty positive and always cracking jokes and its hard to take me seriously so thats where the funny part came in, and Kermit the Frog is my favorite Muppet Character of all time and I have a soft spot for all things Kermit so thats where Frog came from and thats how I came up with Funnyfrog. Have a great night, ribbit, ribbit :angry:

erm, i'm not very creative either my name is rebecca and i shortened it to becky, which my parents hate, everyone at home calls me bebs though cos my little sister couldn't pronounce my name and kept calling me Be-be, it stuck!!

i love hearing everyone elses stories though especially roselover, pers, and briarrose, i love all things disney!

:angry:

:D Mine is because I am a midwife and we are all known to be mad hence the name madwife!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

This is great! Having never done Internet before, I was rather skittish about the name thing. Icthus is the Greek word for Christ, and was used in times of great Christian persecution to identify followers of Jesus. One person would draw an arch in the sand and if the other were a Christian, he would draw his arch, making a fish symbol. They would then know they were brothers in Christ, and could speak freely to one another.

I chose Icthus because I feel like I am in a place of great difficulties. One night three years ago at the dinner table, I gave my family that day's doctor's appointment results (which were a result of POTS but I hadn't been diagnosed yet.) At the conclusion, I said to my husband, "Don, you can't die before me. I can't live without you." "Don't worry, Lefty, you'll be just fine," was his response. 14 hours later I was a widow with a 15 and 18 year old, both at home in home school. My best friend had died at 6AM while trying to rescue our family puppy on a frozen pond. This is where Icthus comes in. Now my best friend, protector, defender, shield, and comforter is Jesus. Were it not for Him, I probably would not be alive right now. And so, here I am, drawing my arch in the sand but I'm definitely not doing it bending down.

Thank you so much for being here. You all have been such a comfort and confirmation to me. I read your entries, and then know I am OK - it's "just" a POTS thing that my body is doing. Thank you, thank you.

By the way, I asked my doctor for a disability parking placard because I lost my valet service (Don). I received it in the mail a week ago. YEA!

ichthus -

congrats on your parking placard...it took me WAY to long to bring it up to my doc a few years ago only to find out she thought i would have already had one from my cardiologist (and i had been nervous about what she'd say!)...it really can be helpful though, especially in places with big parking lots in more extreme weather conditions.

also i wanted to say that i like your username lots...i have an icthus ring that means a lot to me (b/c of what it symbolizes) too.

we're glad you found the forum, too. it's good to have you aboard!

Well, Jane's my heroine-- She's faithful to God, and trusts Him regardless of how hard it is or how much it costs her. I sure can't live up to that, but i admire it in her character. Plus it's quite a passionate, moving love story. :P

I read the book while I was going through a bad case of mono back in '96. Since then, I've used the name on various online things. The 9 (old softball number) just got tacked on because "JaneEyre" was already taken for an email address.

I love persephone's story. I had forgotten the exact myth but remembered it had something to do with the underworld-- very interesting analogy for how it affects your life. I can relate.

kristen!!!

this is getting too weird..."9" was my old number too....for softball & other things as it's my birthday...and i had a nasty bout with mono too (although mine was a bit earlier...91-92...such that i was "too young" so it took them FOREVER to figure out what was wrong...)

same school, same number, pretty darn close to the same age, history of fun with mono, fans of tommy's & chipotle & the symphony & museum....

and lest i forget, at least some of the same health craziness!

now leaving the twilight zone...

RFLMAO!!!!!

Well I guess I win for creativity haha Sue, well because thats it Sue

When I first started on this forum I was FLIPFLOP well because thats how my life is. then my computer crashed and when I got a new computer I couldn't remember my password and I couldn't get FLIPFLOP back :P

Hugs

Sue

What a great thread! I also get an "F" for creativity. My firstborn sons name is Ethan, and I'm his mom, so we have ethansmom!!

Now I have Alex too, so I guess I need to come up with a new username for everything!!!

• 4 months later...

the reason i chose "graceful princess" is because my life is full of the grace of God, without it i don't know where i would be. He gives me grace to face whatever comes my way. And the princess part of my name is because i just like princess stuff. So that's the story behind graceful princess.

Well, I had a very special Jack russell Terrier, Gracie, for about a year until one day planting petunias she ran after the neighbors car and was hit. She was very protective of me and was my first inside dog. MyPots was really starting and she was always there for me when others were judging me (lazy). We live in the country and for the dog to have run that far down the driveway to the dirt road at the same moment the neighbor who lives 1/2 mile away drives by was very weird. I think greived more for that dog then I have for all of my family over the years. Said I would never get another dog but 18 mo ago got a beagle who was goofy and funny and laid back and was just a happy soul. I let her out one morn about 6 wks ago and you guessed it. The neighbor hit it. Yes they drive like bats out of h-ll! So after moping around and it definitly screwing up my pots (even my dr said "Get another dog".) I decided If I found one ok but it would have to pick me. 3 weeks ago My dd and i went past a place with puppies and nothing really out of the ordinary until this little dog quit playing with the others turned around walked straight over to me stood up on two legs and looked straight into my eyes! Never seen anything like it and no one else there had either. I carried her around for .5 hr until I really couldn't talk myself out of her. My husband said well she's good for nothing, she can't hunt. but my dd told him the dog picked me and it was meant to be. A little old lady dog(papillion)that I swore growing up around old ladies I would NEVER get. My husband even bought her a sweater at xmas. Big softie. I've always felt the dead would be quite ticked at us if we were unhappy over them being gone and I feel Gracie and Sandy sent her to me. Whew! what a long explanation. so incredibly boring! Felt like hackers wouldn't ever know of a little dead dog. Guess I blew that right.:-)