Anyone in Canada that has received an IV saline infusion?

joiedevivre

I'm moving to Canada soon to be closer to my parents. I was wondering if anyone there has had IV saline for their POTS? If so, was it hard to get a doctor to prescribe it? Lastly, I know health care is well covered there, but if you paid out of pocket can you tell me how much it cost for one treatment? I will be visiting soon and not have BC medical yet and I wonder how much it would cost out of pocket. Here in the US it's too expensive to consider but medicine there is often a tiny fraction of the price. Thanks for your responses in advance. 

Hi there. I’ve lived in BC all my life. I’ve never had my GP prescribe IV fluids but I’ve received them in the hospital in the past during flare ups. 

I found this website that states emergency costs at different hospitals. I’m sorry I couldn’t find info on walk-in clinics,  regular doctors, etc. http://www.david-cummings.com/documents/canadian_hospital_rates.htm

Medication prescriptions are generally covered if you have insurance. However I recently started Ivabradine and because it’s so new in Canada, it’s not covered and is very expensive. 

Are you thinking of getting some sort of coverage while you’re here?

All the best!

@joiedevivre

I am in the US and have no advice regarding canadian health care but … I have only the best to say about IV fluids. I am sitting in my living room right now with my second bag of fluids going. I felt terrible yesterday with a bad flare coming ( high BP, tachy, dizziness etc ), but I get IV fluids once a week by home health. This time I askes for more than 1 bag due to my symptoms and I am FEELING GREAT!!!!! In the past I would end up being admitted to hospital with hypertension, syncope and even seizures from my POTS symptoms. Now I can be in my home without any type of emergency treatment and all my symptoms are gone … it is a miracle treatment and I can only recommend it if you are not responding to other treatments or meds. Best of luck!!!!!

8 hours ago, Pistol said:

This time I askes for more than 1 bag due to my symptoms and I am FEELING GREAT!!!!!

That's fantastic I so wish I could get a port!  I am going to start regular IVs soon peripherally but have to pay privately in the UK and it is very expensive. May I ask how much you get and over what period? Are your bags 500ml or 1000ml? I am going to be starting with 1 litre over 1-2 hours. 

10 hours ago, joiedevivre said:

I'll have a Carecard once I move there, but I was hoping to try IV saline on an upcoming visit.

There may be some scope to pay for IV fluids privately in Canada, I am not sure what it would cost - I think their healthcare system is similar to the UK where if you have a life threatening emergency, cancer or a well known condition, then the treatment is good but if you have something that's poorly understood, rarely diagnosed and predominantly affects women like dysautonomia you are basically on your own. 

B x

@bombsh3ll - I get 1 liter over 8 hours weekly but if I get bad I can have 3 liters over 24 hours. That is what I used to get hospitalized for and it fixed everything - chest pain, hypertension, nausea, peeing too much, syncope upon standing etc. I have tried 1 liter over 2 hours but it does not work as good as the 8 hour infusion, nut I know of others who get them and it works for them. Also - bolus does not do anything for me either. It seems that the longer infusions counteract the vasoconstriction and break the cycle. Best of luck to you!!!! ( I had the IV fluids for years by peripheral access but I developed phlebitis 4 times. That plus the weekly home infusions justified the port.)