Thoughts Please-Northera is too expensive!

Robertlg1967

I was diagnosed with Diabetic Autonomc Neuropathy and my Neurologist prescribed Northera. I went through the titration schedule and my final dosage was 300mgin the morning, 300mg in the afternoon, and 200mg in the evening. This stopped the Pre Syncope , and Syncope (dizzyness and passing out) all together. I found the Northera to be a life changer! Only problem is that I don’t have insurance and this medicine is depleting what was supposed to be my retirement income at a rapid pace. Has anyone else found this medicine to be very helpful but cost prohibitive?

Edited by Robertlg1967
Didn’t like the title

On 10/13/2018 at 9:02 PM, Robertlg1967 said:

Only problem is that I don’t have insurance and this medicine is depleting what was supposed to be my retirement income at a rapid pace. Has anyone else found this medicine to be very helpful but cost prohibitive?

It's great you found something that helps but I'm sorry it is so expensive. I live in the UK so I am not entirely sure about the situation re drug funding in your country however I have come across other patients online who have been able to access Northera under some kind of compassionate subsidized schemes. 

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer of Northera and asking if they currently have any such scheme that you may be eligible for. It is in their interest to get their drug out there because the more its effectiveness is shown the more doctors will prescribe it. 

Good luck,

B x

@Robertlg1967 - I have found that most pharmacies have assistance programs for patients without insurance. When I could not pay for some meds they scanned some card and I got a huge discount. Call around and ask major chain pharmacies if they have a program like that for you. I also know that some people get their drugs for much cheaper from a mail-in ppharmacy in Canada. And it is true that some times the manufacturer will give a discount.