Chest pain

angelloz

Hello all,

So last night woke up to severe middle of the chest pain...of course went to ER. Things looked OK still had pain so the did a stress test to check for unstable angina, due to the fact that it happened at rest and the blood tests are usually negative for that type of angina. Upon reading doesn't seem like a stress test would rule it out and it is very serious. Pain took about 24 hours to resolve. Anyone have an issue like this? I will call cardiology Monday and make an appointment but...sigh..am very scared. Thanks for any responses. Hope you are all having some nice fall weather!

I’ve dealt with chest pain for years, it was one of my first symptoms to arise actually, and like you’ve I have been to the ER for it in the past due to it waking me up in the middle of the night. Many cardiologists did their own work ups and kind of put me through the ringer in terms of diagnostics, but everything always came back normal. 

To this day I still get very scary chest pains, both at rest and during activity, and it’s actually worsened on beta-blockers so I can’t take those. No doctor has been able to explain it, but due to all my tests being normal I’m not as worried about it as I once was. 

Definitely call your cardiologist and see if you can get an appointment just so they can check you out and make sure everything is still OK. In the mean time, if you’re ever worried just go back to the ER. It’s what they are there for even if it turns out everything is fine. 

Find some good distractions (music, video games, family, etc.) and best of luck!

@angelloz - I have prinz-metal angina, chest pain caused by spasms of the coronary arteries. This is from excessive vasoconstriction caused by ANS dysfunction. Typically it wakes me up at night or I wake up with it and it can last the whole day. Often it is accompanied by elevated BP (from vasoconstriction). Also the chest pain usually radiates up my left neck. I had several stress tests over the years but my diagnosis was made after a heart cath in January. I take nitroglycerin patch for it. ---- Just a thought: sometimes midsternal chest pain ( in the middle of the chest ) can be caused by heartburn. When you see your cardiologist and nothing shows up in any tests you might want to consider that. My husband had an episode of severe chest pain that woke him up once and he went to ER - all labs, EKG etc were normal and the cardiologist ordered a heart cath, which also was OK. His chest pain was determined to be heart burn and he was started on a proton-pump inhibitor. No more chest pain since then. 

You may want to ask your cardiologist and for a full cardiac workup.  There are a lot of pains that can happen in the chest region, including cardiac pain and digestive pain as one of the other posters noted.  A workup can give you peace of mind and let you know whether your heart is healthy.  Chest pains are also a "normal" part of dysautonomia, though mine come go - none have lasted for 24 hours. If you are feeling anxious as if the doctor has any cancellations or could see you sooner.

17 hours ago, angelloz said:

Thank you for all the input. Didn’t receive any meds at the hospital. See my cardiologist in a couple of weeks. It is so helpful to be able to share experiences. Since my autonomic issues I get so stressed.  

I just wanted to add that chest pain can also be caused by costocondritis. I was diagnosed with it years before my POTS. Stress can bring it on, but it can also show up out of no where. It is relieved by taking an NSAID. Not all chest pain has to be scary. I would definitely get a full workup by your cardiologist just to be sure though. 

@jklass44 - my cardiologist wanted me to have it and at first I - like you - refused. But after the chest pain became very bothersome and my PCP talked me into it I agreed to have it done. If your doctor recommends it I would have it done. Even if we think there is nothing wrong - it is very important to have things ruled out. Now I know what is causing the pain and no longer have to worry every time I get bad chest pains. 

Hi, I actually went to the ER on Friday for chest pain. Had a terrible aching squeezing pain in my chest, jaw, shoulders and arms. I'm having a bad pots flare up right now and my tachycardia is worse than before. I've been getting this pain once or twice a day for a few days now. It is very stressful and scary. They ran an ekg and did troponin at the hospital and everything came back okay so I don't know what's causing this. I'm on beta blockers but they don't seem to be doing much. I'm going to ask my cardiologist for a work up. Still haven't been offered a stress test yet which I feel is important 😕 The fact your checks came back okay is reassuring. I also get very bad constant reflux which causes chest pain if not controlled with PPIs. I would try omeprazole for a few days and see if it helps.