IV Fluids?

Mbritt724

Any tips from the pros for convincing a doctor to write an RX for monthly or bi-monthly IV fluids? I've found that 2-3 days after my cycle every month my BP is low for me (averaging around 85/55) and that IV fluids seem to help tremendously. I've gone to an overpriced IV Hydration "Bar" the past few months and have asked my GP and Electrophys to write a letter to insurance to submit my receipts for reimbursement or an RX to receive hydration in office, but they will not do it. I guess, once again, it boils down to many doctors not understanding dysautonomia. Any suggestions on what you've done to convince your doctors it is needed, or should I just suck it up and pay $100+ for IV fluids on my own? 

In my case it was just proof: when my BP got too high or too low and I started taking either seizures or syncope I would get admitted to the hospital overnight for IV fluids and IMMEDIATELY all of my symptoms subsided and my VS turned normal. Every time, no exceptions. So finally - after having years of being admitted for IV fluids overnight every 6-8 weeks - I got a port and now am starting to receive weekly infusions at home. There are studies out there that you can give to your docs that prove the effectiveness of IV hydration for the treatment of POTS.  

• 3 weeks later...

I would document your blood pressure before treatment and after treatment in an excel sheet and present it to your doctors. That way they will be able to see the trends you are talking about and they might be more convinced. You could also bring your bp machine in with you to your appointments. It seems to help if you can provide some sort of proof. I have been taking pictures of my symptoms (such as purple feet, red ears, rashes, etc.) and having that proof seems to help doctors take my symptoms more seriously.

You could also mention the point that IV fluids are a very benign way of treating POTS symptoms. So if it helps and has very minimal risks, why not try it/prescribe it?

I know how frustrating it can be when they don’t listen. Hang in there! I hope all goes well and they change their mind!