3 new books on life’s continuum of health/illness

p8d

How we all tackle adversity is very different. Right (write?) now on my kitchen counter is a chart where I'm drawing an uphill battle line showing the increasing difficulties in getting a post-menopausal diagnosis and appropriate age-related care--it's letting me address my frustrations.  I chose to learn and understand in effort to find balance in my body and my soul. Dysautonomic care for everyone is a dual track--we try to reduce the symptoms, and we also try to limit their effect on our lives. Learning how to slowly and incrementally adapt to make your life better is vital; it involves flexibility in your habits and attitude.  I am strongly behind everyone picking up a pen,  a marker, a paintbrush, a musical instrument, pounding the keyboard in public forums or their own b'vlogs, writing books, anthologies, poems, haiku, limericks--or whatever other media that allows you to tell your story. Who we are and how we tell our story is part of how we live--you  don't get to have dysautonomia in peaceful secret because the symptoms can't be ignored by others who see our eyes glaze over as we crumple or lay down for a nap that lasts five hours instead of five minutes.  Describing, showing and telling your view of the world can be healing to a wounded spirit. 

I have found this helpful: when our body gives up we get going: we are not reduced to the mere functions of our bodies. We do not have to have a great audience to change the world - being our best is always good enough. We do not have to be authors or motivational speakers or artists to make a difference. If we can manage to inspire or do our chores or just simply be there for anyone, not become the center of our own universe but know that we still - how ever little - are useful/helpful/of service to others ( even if it is just our own family ) - then we are doing good. If we are lucky enough to be able to do more - yippiehhh! Telling our story is always a good starting point.