Another Day, Another ER Visit...

DAB19

So I endedĀ up in the emergency room yesterday with severe abdominal and back pain. They did the usual blood work and a CT scan which showed nothing (as usual šŸ™„) I was dischargedĀ and told to take some stool softeners. The abdominal issues started early last week, it feels like there is pressure in my abdomen after I eat, it's like the food isn't being digested. I've also been having trouble belching which makes the pressure worse. In addition to all that I have been feeling feverish (highest temp I've caught was 99.5F) and worsened lightheadedness. I'm concerned that I might be developing Gastroparesis. My grandmother has it and I can tell it's not fun! The only thing is my grandmother gets terrible nausea with her gastroparesis and I don't have nausea, it just feels like there is a brick sitting in my upper abdomen.Ā  Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Also, when I was in the ER they had troubleĀ getting a good blood sample from me. They said the samples were "hemolyzed" and they ended up drawing blood several times before they were able to get a good sample, that took HOURS! Has anyone else ever dealt with this?Ā Ā 

I included images of the lab & CT reports. Thank you in advance for your help!

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

You may have to see a gastroenterologist to find out if you have gastroparesis. There is a test they do, but not usually until it gets really bad (vomiting, extreme pain). I would start there. If you have a dysautonomia diagnosis, you will need to explain that. I told my gastro I had disregulation of my autonomic nervous system. This got his attention. I asked if peristalsis was controlled by the autonomic nervous system (I already knew the answer), but I led him down the path with questions. He did a few tests to rule out more common stuff, then sent me for the test where you eat the glowing eggs and they track them through your system. He was shocked with the results. He said I didn't look like I had gastroparesis. He was my 4th gastro. The others wouldn't take me seriously. He has been great and helped me get it under control.

Nothing majorly sticks out there,Ā the monocytes may or may not be significant. I know how it feels to actually want something to be found so it can be treated. None of these tests either point to or away from gastroparesis, as Kim suggested a gastroenterologist would be the best person to arrange specific tests for that.Ā 

When I first became unwell with POTS, I was nauseated with no appetite (and still frequently am), got reading and convinced myself I had gastroparesis. That doesn't seem to be the case as time has gone by, and I believe that in my case the nausea is due to chronic cerebral hypoperfusion. It is a classic presyncopal symptom.

I hope you manage to get a diagnosis and some relief.

B x

@DAB19 The constipation can cause most of those symptoms. Have you tried a stool softener? Even if you have bm"s after a bout of constipation - the hard stool could still be in there. In which case you could develop diarrhea because the bowel is pushing stool around the constipation. Have you improved at all by now? I am currently being tested for gastroparesis, my symptoms are mostly acid reflux, bloating, terrible nausea and feeling full after eating small amounts. Also one time I had to throw up 4 hours after eating and the food was still undigested. I had an EGD yesterday and will have a gastric emptying study next week. If your symptoms don't improve ask your doc to order that for you to rule out something other than constipation. Ā