Chest pains

jklass44

Hello. For those of you that suffer from chest pain symptoms, do you take anything to relieve it or do you go and see your doctor or... 

I've always had chest pains as a symptom and when I'm in a flare it gets really bad. Previously I've gone to the ER when it becomes unbearable but there's really nothing they do that relieves it as my heart itself is healthy. 

I thought I would try and push through it today and I tried going to work... that didn't last long lol... Just curious as to what you guys do in this situation. Thanks in advance :)

Years ago, before my POTS showed up I had chest pain that was diagnosed as costocondritis. So when I get that chest pain I take aleve. 

My POTS chest pain is different and it is more is line with when my breathing gets worse so I end up just laying down or going to sleep. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I would try talking to your doctor and see if there is anything you can do. Such as sit in a certain position. Or if there might be a medication to try. 

Fluid loading (IV if you can get it, extra oral rehydration solution if not) and diazepam are what help me. I found beta blockers relieve it a well but with the unfortunate side effect of being even more syncopal, so in that respect I'd take the chest pain over unconsciousness. 

I don't believe the chest pain in POTS is muscular, I believe it is due to the effect of high levels of catecholamines on our hearts, which are probably also underperfused and working harder than they should have to (even though structurally and electrically they are healthy).

Hope you find something that helps. 

B x

@jklass44 I suffer from very bad chest pains during flares. They get really bad and radiate up my neck when my BP goes up. Everything always checked out OK but in January my cardiologist did a heart cath and diagnosed me with prizmetal angina - that means the chest pains are caused by spasms in the coronary arteries. I have Raynauds, too, which are spasms in the toes and fingers, so same mechanism. I take a nitropatch which helps except for bad days - when it gets unbearable IV fluids stop it. They are my miracle treatment! -- Most people with POTS do not tolerate nitrates so be careful if your doctor orders that, however - if you DO tolerate it then it is very effective. --- In articles they often explain the chest pain in POTS as a change in circulation and also that the heart has to beat stronger at times if we vasodilate or constrict. We usually have cardiac awareness, that means we can feel out hearts strongly and notice changes more that others. --- Have you had an echo? EKG? Stress test? If not you should definitely have those, before the docs decide it is typical POTS chest pain they need to rule out other causes ( and more dangerous causes ) first. -- Also - I would not push through when you are feeling bad and have symptoms - it will only make things worse. I know it is hard to do but when you start to feel bad you need to REST, REST and hydrate. -- I wish you luck - be well and hang in there! 

@Pistol That's so interesting. I've always wondered if I have prinzmetal angina because the pain comes at such random times, often when I'm not doing anything, and it appears in cycles. My cardio said we'd consider an angiogram if it got worse. 

Yes ive had a couple echos and stress tests, also a cardiac MRI and a TEE. All came back relatively normal. 

I always tell myself I won't push through but then I do and screw myself over. But what you say is absolutely correct - it makes things way worse. I need to retrain my brain into realizing that pushing through always ends badly.

Thanks for your replies everyone!!

Hi @jklass44 I would have really bad chest pressure and tightness where it almost felt like I was having a heart attack or something, and this would last for weeks on end. So I had to find a medication to stop it, and was able to get on verapamil (which has helped it a lot) and then I'll still take an aspirin or extra verapamil if I find on any given day the chest pressure is suddenly worse.

All my testing came back normal other than bicusbid aortic valve (which I've had for a long time) and a PFO (which doctors don't think is related to my symptoms); ekg, stress test, holter monitor for a month all normal.