insect bites & POTS flare

Pistol

Well - who would have thought! --- Normally I cannot stay outside in the summer due to my heat intolerance from POTS. However - the weather is cooling off a little bit so the last few days I was sitting out on the porch in the evening to take in the outdoors. Well - 3 days ago I fell asleep there and got several moscito bites ( the first ones this year ). They all swelled up to huge lumps and I right away got palpitations, dizziness, shortness-of-breath feeling and tachycardia. Today I sat out during the day to avoid the bugs but got bit anyway and developed tachycardia and chest pains. The bites are enormous! So - I am wondering: could the POTS symptoms be related to the bites? I have been checked for auto-immune and MCAS before and tested negative for either one.  But it just seems too obvious that the sudden onset of POTS symptoms and the bites should not be related. --- Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?   

Ugh!  Sorry you have to deal with that.  I have gotten these huge welts before, but are you sure they are all from skeeters?  Because the biting flies around here are vicious and their bites can make some nasty welts that are larger than those from mosquitoes.  Like, 50-cent-piece size or a little larger and perfectly round.  I don't recall getting a flare after being bitten, but it's not difficult to imagine that the bites could have activated one, especially if you normally avoid the hot weather so much that the bites are a relatively novel stress to your system.  Good luck and I hope you're not itching too much (Ivarest helps me . . .)

I've always wondered this too! It doesn't matter what kind of insect bites me, I will always swell up like balloon, I get tachycardic and very dizzy. Last year I got bitten by a mosquito on my temple and I had to go to emergency because my entire face swelled up, eyelids glued shut and everything it was awful!

I have never been tested for MCAS or autoimmune diseases but it's interesting that we both have similar symptom flares after insect exposure/bites! This is why I don't go outside 😂

Weird that you mention this bc I have a huge itching and hurting welt on my neck--spider bite??--and along with it I have been a bit more POTS-y in the last day.  Maybe coincidence I don't know.  It is awfully hot here and I may just not be drinking enough.  Going to dr today to make sure this thing on my neck is nothing to be too concerned about since I am in day 3 and it's not better.

It can take on average 10 years to get a diagnosis of Mast Cell Activation or Histamine Intolerance. Yasmina Ykelenstam had many negative results over the years before new doctors said she'd got it. Even after fairly obvious reactions to skin prick tests for allergies she wasn't given a definite diagnosis. I know I have histamine issues and quite dramatic reactions to foods etc. 

I get super huge lumps after bites and yes, it does make POTS worse. 

• 1 year later...

So I was diagnosed with POTS in December. I’ve had the symptoms on and off for years but never as bad it got in December. I’ve been doing fine and off my medication for a few weeks now. Two days Ago I got stung by a wasp and yesterday my POTS has flared up so bad. Every time I even move my heart rate goes up. It doubles when I stand. So I feel like their has to be some kind of relation between the two. 

• 3 years later...

So I got 4 mosquito bites yesterday and I woke up out of breath, tachy, dizzy 😵 🙃. I have dysautonomia but tested negative for autoimmune. I haven't  tested for MCAS yet. I was diagnosed hEDS then had genetics was told I have FBN1 gene variant VUS also connective tissue disorder. Looked this up this morning and found your thread. Prayers for us all. I wanted to enjoy the cooler temps before the heat here in Georgia sets in so sad our lives we have to miss so much! I miss going grocery shopping alone! 😔 

@shilaba80 For me the problem with insect bites is that the release of histamine causes vasodilation . With hEDS you already have too dilated vessels, so of course the added dilation would make you worse. Have you tried antihistamines?