HR increase when eating / swallowing.

Scout

28 minutes ago, Scout said:

Is this quite common in Dysautonomia?

I notice my HR speed up a lot when swallowing drink or food, and it then slows down afterwards. I figured it has something to do with the vagus nerve. Can be quite uncomfortable. 

Try asking your surgeon if outs possible to put a balloon in to help you swallow. I did and is helped tremendously. 

I also experience tachycardia when eating, although it does not happen often and it does not matter what I eat or what time of the day. I eat something and right away my HR goes up to 120's. My theory is that eating activates the sympathetic nervous system ( although the parasympathetic NS is supposed the one kicking in for digestion ).   

I personally don't take medication to lower my heart rate because in my case I definitely feel it is an appropriate physiological response to low blood volume/cardiac output, and beta blockers made me feel worse. Yes the chest pain and pervasive sense of non-psychogenic anxiety were gone but I was even more presyncopal. 

• 1 year later...

This happens to me every single time I eat. It was actually one of my first symptoms I noticed. Its really frustrating and annoying. It even occurs when I start chewing without swallowing. One of the weird things that I notice however is that my breathing becomes really slow and irregular to the point where it feels like I'm not getting enough air if I continue to eat. I will have to stop to let everything normalize. My hr gets well over 100 sometimes and immediately when stopping from eating it slowly goes back down to resting hr. I'm almost positive it has something to do with the vagus nerve as well. 

Yup. Here too. Also seems to depend more on what I eat. The drier it is and harder to swallow I might get some skips. More likely if I try to move around shortly after or while chewing. The heart rate increase more often seems to occur when eating something I probably shouldn't (gluten, sugar). 

Yes. I actually had chest pain when i ate popeyes. I dont eat popeyes often but the last 2 times i ate it, my heart was racing. The heart pain came from when i was squatting down and i stood up. First time ive felt heart pain. Its as if i didnt take any medication. Just rolling in a different position in bed would make my heart race for a short time then calm back down like before i started medication. I wonder what it is in popeyes that really messes with me. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 12:31 AM, Derek1987 said:

Yes. I actually had chest pain when i ate popeyes. I dont eat popeyes often but the last 2 times i ate it, my heart was racing. The heart pain came from when i was squatting down and i stood up. First time ive felt heart pain. Its as if i didnt take any medication. Just rolling in a different position in bed would make my heart race for a short time then calm back down like before i started medication. I wonder what it is in popeyes that really messes with me. 

Crazy you mention that I had Popeyes tonight and my chest was hurting and heart rate was increased.