Heatwave

Hi,

I'm usually a reasonably managed presyncope person.Since the UK heatwave started it's like I've become hyper sensitive and the usual build up of light headedness to can't think straight to nausea, tremors to slurred speech then shaking and loss of speech must get to the floor has gone.

Now it's sudden light headed and bang straight into slurred stuttering tremors shaking .

This is a bit shocking to me despite increasing salt fluids etc.Anyone else had this ? Is this normal .I now have a large gallstone and consultant says this has an impact on it all.

Hi lattegirl I am from the UK too. I am struggling severely with this weather as well, my symptoms have been bad for nearly 1 month now and am waiting for an urgent appointment with my Neurologist as I am not improving despite following all the advice given. I am not able to get up from my bed without pooling blood unless my legs are raised then feeling faint, nauseous etc. My speech can go funny when symptomatic as well. 

Hi clicky 77,

Poor you , 

Let's hope the neurologist has some ideas.

It is very tough in this heat, I have found some help sipping Skratch hydration mix thru the day. I also keep a cushion at the foot of the bed so when I am symptomatic at night I can raise my legs and drink water too. I'm glad I'm not on my own with this.

Hang in there.

I'm also in the UK hating the heatwave just now too! I'd have loved a summer like this before POTS :( I'm in Edinburgh so it's not quite as bad here, I really feel for those of you in the south of England.  I just bought a water spray bottle which is good for cooling down, and have ordered some mint essential oil to add to it too. I frequently sit with a pack of frozen peas to my head/neck for the headaches too so more of that, and eating ice lollies.

I am also going to look into cooling vests and towels too.

B x 

16 hours ago, StayAtHomeMom said:

Keeping your body cool can help. Cooling vests I heard are great. I use water drip it on my skin with some sort of fan to keep me cool. Any word on how long your heatwave will last? I live in the US and ours finally eased a bit. It is finally getting cool at night. 

Hi thanks will look into cooling vests. 

So far heatwave has no end in sight but temperatures are dipping with cloud cover which helps.

24 minutes ago, bombsh3ll said:

I'm also in the UK hating the heatwave just now too! I'd have loved a summer like this before POTS :( I'm in Edinburgh so it's not quite as bad here, I really feel for those of you in the south of England.  I just bought a water spray bottle which is good for cooling down, and have ordered some mint essential oil to add to it too. I frequently sit with a pack of frozen peas to my head/neck for the headaches too so more of that, and eating ice lollies.

I am also going to look into cooling vests and towels too.

B x 

Thanks for ideas I will try the spray ! x

Another alternative to the cooling vest are the cooling towels.  You wet them with cool water and use them around your neck.  You can stretch them out when they start to get warm and they cool down again.  They aren't great if you are out in public because they do leave the front of your clothes damp, but if you are at home, then it is is a good way to stay cool.  

I am a sedimentologist and college professor, so I do research outside.  Many times I have to go even though it is hot and humid.  I always wear an ultraviotet-protective shirt due to my coloring, and I have found that soaking this in ice water provides relief (until it dries out).  Also, roll some ice cubes into a bandana or cotton scarf and tie it around your neck.  You can also buy shirts and scarves that keep you cooler once you start to sweat.  I tried one once, and while it did not keep me cool it did make the heat and humidity bearable.

23 hours ago, edriscoll said:

Another alternative to the cooling vest are the cooling towels.  You wet them with cool water and use them around your neck.  You can stretch them out when they start to get warm and they cool down again.  They aren't great if you are out in public because they do leave the front of your clothes damp, but if you are at home, then it is is a good way to stay cool.  

They sound great I will have a go thanks !

1 hour ago, Lily said:

I am a sedimentologist and college professor, so I do research outside.  Many times I have to go even though it is hot and humid.  I always wear an ultraviotet-protective shirt due to my coloring, and I have found that soaking this in ice water provides relief (until it dries out).  Also, roll some ice cubes into a bandana or cotton scarf and tie it around your neck.  You can also buy shirts and scarves that keep you cooler once you start to sweat.  I tried one once, and while it did not keep me cool it did make the heat and humidity bearable.

Some good ideas thanks I will try them out!