Are any of you struggling with your sinuses?

AB+72

I saw my Doctor last friday and she said my nasal passages are swollen and inflamed.  And prescribed a steroid inhaler.  I have a feeling this has had an impact on my health lately because I'm not breathing good through my nose.  I think that is why I haven't been sleeping as well lately and it may be a key problem.  But I'm not sure how to solve it.  I'm hoping the inhalor helps, but I have a feeling there is a larger, underlying cause.......

Just curious if anyone else has been down this road....

Yes. Had them do a sinus CT. All sinuses have evidence of sinus disease. The ENT was a little surprised. He said most people do not have it in all. I have a cyst in a front sinus (thinking about having it removed or at least scoped) and a deviated septum. The ENT I seen swears it has nothing to do with my breathing issues I have had for the last 3 years. (Feel like I can't get a deep breath).

When it bothers me I use vicks (or off brand. Doesn't seem to matter) under my nose to help open them a little bit to breath better while I sleep. I try not to use it much though. I was having to use it for about 3 months straight a few years ago so I try not to now. 

My Allergist had me on 3 different allergy meds and inhalers. I did them multiple times a day as prescribed for a full month. When she rechecked a month later there was no change. 

Currently I am looking at this angle for my underlying cause. But I don't want surgery if I can help it. Had a followup CT done early this year (about 2 years after the first) and it still shows the cyst. 

I used the steroid inhalor today and I think it made it worse....  I'm thinking about trying clariton or some over the counter drug.  Or, I may try some quercitin.....

Have you learned to just breathe through your mouth more? 

No I feel weird breathing through my mouth. Almost like I get too much O2 and my breathing gets worse. As long as one nostril is clear I am mostly just OK with it. 

Make sure you point your tip of the steroid bottle towards you same side ear. You don't want to jam it up your nose but you want to make sure you are "snorting" the liquid. Sorry for the weird wording. That is the best way I can explain it. I had been doing it wrong til my allergist explained it. 

There is also one called qnasal that is an inhaler for your nose instead of a "squirt" applicator. It is weird but I liked it better. 

1 hour ago, AB+72 said:

I used the steroid inhalor today and I think it made it worse....  I'm thinking about trying clariton or some over the counter drug.  Or, I may try some quercitin.....

Have you learned to just breathe through your mouth more? 

Depends on your allergies depends on which allergy med works best. Claritin does nothing for me. I used zyrtec until a few years ago the changed me to xyzal. I didn't like the dosing for Allegra. 

Can't you cut the allegra in half or 1/4 or something?  My doctor is recommending zyrtec or allegra.  I'm thinking I'm going to try one.  I'm not sure I care if it makes me drowsy, if I take it before bed....  Although non drowsy would be better as long as it's not ramping me up......  I personally would rather take only a part of a pill right off the bat, to see if I can tolerate it. 

On 7/2/2018 at 5:55 PM, AB+72 said:

Can't you cut the allegra in half or 1/4 or something?  My doctor is recommending zyrtec or allegra.  I'm thinking I'm going to try one.  I'm not sure I care if it makes me drowsy, if I take it before bed....  Although non drowsy would be better as long as it's not ramping me up......  I personally would rather take only a part of a pill right off the bat, to see if I can tolerate it. 

The Allegra was 2X a day plus restrictions on food and drink when you took it. Zyrtec is a tiny pill once a day. I used to take it before bed. Xyzal is a super concentrated form of Zyrtec. I get a script for it but you can buy it over the counter now. Adult dose for Zyrtec is the same for a 6 year old. Pharmacist told me the worse that could happen if it was "too strong" is you would get drowsy. I asked when my youngest was 6ish and thought it was weird he would have the same dose as me. A lot depends on if it is more indoor or outdoor allergies.

Yep, I have had it for over a year in the frontal sinuses both sides, MRI's x2 and 2x CT shown it. I can feel it, i've a heavy sore head all day. 

I'd love to know if this is why I have constant vertigo, time will tell. Anyone get vertigo with it?

I am going in for an operation as antibiotics, sprays, tablets have done nothing. I don't have the name, I just know that's what my GP said is gonna happen when i see ENT. Sorry I don't have much to add, but it's not fun.. the operation doesn't seem that big of a deal, it's done under local, in and out job from what I know.  

6 minutes ago, CK1 said:

Yep, I have had it for over a year in the frontal sinuses both sides, MRI's x2 and 2x CT shown it. I can feel it, i've a heavy sore head all day. 

I'd love to know if this is why I have constant vertigo, time will tell. Anyone get vertigo with it?

I am going in for an operation as antibiotics, sprays, tablets have done nothing. I don't have the name, I just know that's what my GP said is gonna happen when i see ENT. Sorry I don't have much to add, but it's not fun.. the operation doesn't seem that big of a deal, it's done under local, in and out job from what I know.  

I hope your operation goes well. I couldn't bring myself to do it but I had a panic attack just from having a silly brain MRI done (in an open MRI machine no less). Positive thoughts your way!

Thank you! it's the time that drives me nuts here, it's been at least 6 months waiting for a letter and no word. 

Awh that's common for many with MRI's, i found it relaxing. I think you can do it under full anaesthetic, i was reading someone who insisted on it and was allowed, just an idea if you ever feel you need it. I know a friend who got a sinus operation and was given morphine for days, I hope i'm not getting what he had, either way beats this dull head pain. 

Ps, anyone have vertigo? doctors are very mixed about Sinuses causing vertigo 

Anesthetic freaks me out. I was put under for my tubal (before my POTS issues) and I had a full blown panic attack and about ran out of the hospital because I was in a different room then where I fell asleep. I don't handle change well and being at the mercy of people I don't know and trust while being unconscious sends my flight response crazy. I have recently been informed I have OCD and that might be some of it. Lack of control has always unsettled me. 

Every doc I have ever talked to about vertigo says sinuses can cause it. Not always but a lot. If I remember right vertigo is caused in the inner ear. I can't remember exactly but maybe something to do with the bones? And sinus issues cause swelling and fluid in the ears. Including the inner ear. 

• 6 months later...

Hi all, the lining of your nasal passages is under control of the autonomic nervous system. Its swelling and constricting is an autonomic function. I felt all the things you guys are describing but my CT scan was absolutely "crystal clear" of any disease (ENT's words lol!). So apparently you don't need to have sinus disease to feel congestion and pressure and the like.  

https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/109439

@MeganMN - any infection or inflammation can worsen POTS. If you have chronic sinus infection this can put enormous stress on your body due to the overactivity of the immune system constantly fighting the infection. Maybe that is why you mentioned in another post that Sudafed made you feel better? If they are treating your sinus infection with antibiotics you might find some relief even of your POTS symptoms. Are you seeing an ENT? 

Echo that is super interesting...i had never heard that before about the sinus' being under the ANS control....I had an MRI during them trying to DX me with POTS and it showed extreme inflammation in my maxillary sinus' I had previosly had cysts in both maxillary sinuses too...so I don't know...but worry about infection spreading to my brain 

@Pistol they initially treated me with an antibiotic after leaving the hospital and I actually felt pretty decent. Then the house got sick with head colds and I feel back to crummy again. The only time I feel better is with Sudafed. I Have Not seen an ENT. My insurance is fairly crummy. I met my deductible last year and so I did not mind going to see extra docs, but now it starts all over again!  Will see what happens, I guess.