stuffy or runny nose anyone?

Pistol

Hi - this is not an important question but I am wondering if this is due to dysautonomia: every night I have a stuffy nose and dry, itchy eyes ( I do not have any allergies ) and every morning I have extremely tearing eyes and runny nose. This lasts about 40 minutes every morning. Then I am fine for the rest of the day. Can that be due to POTS? I have tried Claritin before but it did not make a difference. 

@StayAtHomeMom - I did not get tested for Sjorgens especially but they did test me for auto-immune several times because I get very bad generalized joint pains at times. All my auto-immune testing is always negative (except elevated ESR). I read somewhere that tears and mucus membranes can be affected by dysautonomia just like perspiration ( I do not sweat ), so I am thinking if the wet eyes/dry eyes as well as stuffy/runny nose thing might be related???

Maybe. I know in the beginning of my issues I had really bad watery eyes. I would lay down and it would look like I was crying they would flow so much. They have eased after about 2 years but they still randomly do when laying down. I have stuffy nose issues too but I have allergies. Started when I was a teenager and have gotten progressively worse over the years. So I am not sure if it is POTS related or not. Maybe try seeing an ophthalmologist or optometrist and see if they see anything in your eyes. My sister in law began her path to her MS diagnosis because of her eyes. There was something weird about her nerves. 

My sinuses have been terrible this year and I think is contributed to worse symptoms.  I was not breathing well through my nose at all.  I've been wearing the breathe right strips on my nose and I've been wearing them all day and all night now.  I don't care how it looks.  I breathe much better with them.   I think I was getting anxiety just from the fact that I wasn't breathing well.  Even with trying to keep my mouth open it's not the same when your nasal passages are stopped up.  I'm actually seeing my doctor tomorrow for this, but I don't know if there is anything a regular family MD will do other than prescribe another drug.  Which I'm not sure I wanna do.  I may be open to steroid nasal sprays since I doubt they would interfere with anything else I'm taking.   At least I don't think they would.......

On 6/28/2018 at 11:31 PM, AB+72 said:

My sinuses have been terrible this year and I think is contributed to worse symptoms.  I was not breathing well through my nose at all.  I've been wearing the breathe right strips on my nose and I've been wearing them all day and all night now.  I don't care how it looks.  I breathe much better with them.   I think I was getting anxiety just from the fact that I wasn't breathing well.  Even with trying to keep my mouth open it's not the same when your nasal passages are stopped up.  I'm actually seeing my doctor tomorrow for this, but I don't know if there is anything a regular family MD will do other than prescribe another drug.  Which I'm not sure I wanna do.  I may be open to steroid nasal sprays since I doubt they would interfere with anything else I'm taking.   At least I don't think they would.......

According to my Allergist they only affect the nasal passages. In theory I am not sure but she swears it doesn't travel through the blood. If your insurance will pay for it I would ask for Qnasal. It is kinda of like using an inhaler for your nose but I thought it opened my passages better than Flonase. My insurance wouldn't pay for it though so I was only able to use the samples for a few weeks. 

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:39 AM, Pistol said:

every morning I have extremely tearing eyes and runny nose. This lasts about 40 minutes every morning

Please don't tell me this could be related to dysautonomia. I get this every morning as well especially if my bp is low upon getting up. Once i get moving around it clears up but then there are times it just magically starts up again. I am starting to think this maybe heads up symptom i need be aware of. Just as an example i was making lunch today i had checked my bp just prior (152/94 hr 88) sat down to eat and just before i finished my nose started leaking like a fire hose and i started coughing (wet cough) felt lightheaded and graying out. Checked my blood pressure and it dropped to 110/65 hr 130 a few minutes later the pressure went back up to (140/84 hr 92) .

Lmao,  I was about to say 'probably not related to dysautonomia'  but then I saw that more people had this issue  😳

This topic was made before pandemic,  I am sure it can create distress to us feeling stuffy or runny nose,  and/or breath discomfort.   I bought an oximeter a while ago... it helps with anxiety more than anything else lol (i had the common cold a few weeks ago, but made me very nervous, didn't even had fever)

So anyway.   I would advice using a vacuum or something like that,  to clean your bedroom. Change your sheets often,  and all that,  if you get these symptoms,  when in bed, or after bed time...  chances are you got mites or anything like that, that can trigger allergy symptoms.  Even dust.   This last week I was so nervous of having COVID-19,  but noticed my symptoms were only during AM hours, after being in bed.  
I got some help to do the cleaning,  and it helped A LOT.  
I also fail to bath daily because showering can sometimes be too exhaustive,  but bathing also helped...

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, MTRJ75 said:

This nose running thing has become a constant.  

Eating...nose runs. 

Walking around...nose runs.

Concentrating on something difficult...nose runs. 

Talking on the phone...nose runs. 

Basically anytime I sweat...nose runs.

Maybe a mold thing? Some MCAS connection? 

Have you been tracking your blood pressure? my runny nose will kick in when my bp is low. It did take a bit to figure out but the nose will run and i will get hot.

I have not cleaned a thing lately so i am sure it is not environmentally induced. MCAS is a crapshoot of a diagnosis i can see if you have an allergic reaction to a peanut it is valid "allergic reaction" i am also on board that ones histamine bucket maybe smaller than most folks especially when it comes to drug cocktails or changes in the season.

IMO i doubt MCAS will cause your nose to run while talking on the phone.

@MTRJ75 - talking on the phone is no small feat. I get quite stressed talking on the phone, and even worse if it is a virtual meeting like zoom or facetime ( I think because it involves two stimuli - hearing and vision ). So I totally understand that talking on the phone might cause you to sweat - it activates the ANS!

15 hours ago, MTRJ75 said:

This nose running thing has become a constant.  

Eating...nose runs. 

Walking around...nose runs.

Concentrating on something difficult...nose runs. 

Talking on the phone...nose runs. 

Basically anytime I sweat...nose runs.

Maybe a mold thing? Some MCAS connection? 

I use ipratropium nasal spray for my nose - it runs when it’s cold outside, when I wear a mask, etc. it works well without side effects (other than bad taste).

I have a stuffy nose in the evening, and haven’t figured out what helps it. It makes me unable to breathe through my CPAP mask, so it’s important. 

• 3 weeks later...

Read something in the latest Health Rising blog that brought me back to this post: 

The connections between the olfactory and limbic regions might be able to explain why the limbic region of the brain gets hit so hard, not just in long COVID, but in post-infectious disorders like ME/CFS.

...reductions of grey matter in the orbitofrontal cortex and insula have been found in chronic rhinosinusitis – which the authors called a post-infectious state.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2022/03/20/coronavirus-brain-shrinkage-long-covid/

On 6/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, Pistol said:

@StayAtHomeMom - I did not get tested for Sjorgens especially but they did test me for auto-immune several times because I get very bad generalized joint pains at times. All my auto-immune testing is always negative (except elevated ESR). I read somewhere that tears and mucus membranes can be affected by dysautonomia just like perspiration ( I do not sweat ), so I am thinking if the wet eyes/dry eyes as well as stuffy/runny nose thing might be related???

• 2 weeks later...