The result of suddenly increased activity

A woman over 30 who suddenly becomes more active is a prime candidate for plantar fasciitis. That pretty much describes me. Since I've recently rejoined the land of the living, I've been spending a lot more time on my feet.

My right heel has been bothering me a little for the past few days. I'd rate the pain as about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being barely noticeable and 10 being the worst pain imaginable. But I figure that any pain in any anatomic region with lots of moving parts should be addressed immediately.

I was hoping that I don't have a "heel spur." I've known women, including my mother, who have had all sorts of problems with them. So I entered the words "heel pain" in the Web browser and found the following link.

http://heelspurs.com

Apparently, "heel spurs" are the result of plantar fasciitis, which is a result of overuse, compounded by lack of flexibility. Plantar fasciitis is worse in obese people, because their extra weight results in worse mechanical stress on the plantar fascia. The Web site has all sorts of information about how to deal with the problem. None of the women who've told me about their heel spurs has ever mentioned the common-sense physical therapy outlined in this Web site. Recently, a coworker of mine had "plantar fasciitis" and did get physical therapy, which helped enormously.

My plan is to use RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) for a few days. I will also use the stretching exercises that the Web site describes. I may even hobble on over to the drugstore for some athletic tape, to tape the bottom of my foot.

When I moved into my current house, 15 years ago, I moved from a smaller house with carpet and lineolum type flooring to a large house with all hardwood and tile floors. In the old house I was used to walking around in my socks. After I moved I developed pain in both heels that kept on getting worse. Two things got rid of it. 1. wearing those rubbery, cushioned heel cups in my shoes and 2. wearing shoes in the house!

In the new place, I walked more as the distance between things like the bedroom and kitchen was farther and the hard floors were jaring.

Since I have taken to wearing some kind of cushioned foorwear in the house, I have not had this problem.

Just a thought.

Michigan Jan

Edited by MightyMouse