Sign in to follow this  
Alystew

Heart rate has to stay elevated for how long?

Is there criteria for how long a heart rate has to stay elevated 20+ beats upon standing? 

If it drops within a minute or two is that still POTS? 

I believe the criteria is 30 BPM or above 120 BPM within/for 10 minutes of standing

Mine will increase anywhere from 30-60 bpm within seconds of standing. It'll then go back down to normal within a few minutes. 

I find this piece of "criteria" rather unreliable though because POTS is so much more than tachycardia. 

@jklass44 you are absolutely right. And  I also believe that POTS is really not a good name because it is ONE symptom but by far not the worsed one. I guess they get so hung up on it because it is one they can detect with a test, so if your heart does as they want it to then you have it. If not - I guess it's all in your head.   

In healthy people the HR goes up for a few seconds or minutes then comes back down when you stand. In POTS it is a sustained heart rate increase so 15 min or30 min after standing you would still have tachycardia. This is the very definition of POTS.  If your HR doesn’t stay up for more than a few minutes then you don’t have POTS, but might have another form of dysautonomia.