POTS and low blood sugar.

I was wondering if any of you guys get low blood sugar for no reason, or reactive hypoglycemia? I used to get this a lot. I am a type 2 diabetic, so this could also be the culprit. I worked for 3 hours on Sunday after consuming nothing more than 1 stick of beef jerky. I drove home and was preparing to eat my dinner (now keep in mind I had just injected my fast acting insulin) and it takes at least 40 minutes to start working. I do not think that was the issue. I began to see white and black everywhere. It was like the lights in my head were about to go out. I began to shake, drop things, twitch uncontrollably, and I almost passed out. I checked my pulse and it was 145 with an oxygen level of 92. I then had the idea to check my blood sugar and it was 60. Usually I do not get these kind of symptoms until my blood sugar is at least in the low 40's. It was so horrible. I had to scarf down my dinner and an entire bag of small donuts. Then I got deathly ill and had to lay down for 10 hours. I don't know if it was a reactive hypo, or maybe it was BP. I was too wasted to check my BP. I was weak and out of it dropping things and not in good shape. I used to get these kind of attacks a lot before my diabetes diagnosis. I would eat a meal and 4 hours later like clockworks, I would get a hypo into the low 40's. I would have to eat a bunch of cookies to feel better again. I began having these issues in 2009 when I almost passed out while on a delivery to Laredo. I was wondering if there can also be dysregulation of the blood sugar with autonomic dysfunction, just like it does to my BP when I'm standing. I'm getting scared that this new job is going to put me in into the hospital. If this would have happened at work, I would have been in deep stuff, because I had no sugar on hand. I worked hard for 3 straight hours and was sweating. As soon as I completed my last job I was very out of it and I had to sit down. It was really scary seeing white flashes and black all over my field of vision. It was like maybe there was no oxygen getting to my brain. I am wondering if an oxygen level of 92 could cause this with a 150 BPM HR? Has anyone experienced anything like this?  I will see how my work day goes on Thursday and assess things from there. 

Yes - hypoglycemia can be caused by dusautonomia. I do not have diabetes but have had hypoglycemia and glucose intolerance all of my life. If I eat anything like pancakes or concentrated sweets 2 hours later I go in full hypoglycemia. At the first sign of this I eat a fruit sugar ( grapes or OJ ) as well as a protein. The sugar brings the blood sugar up fast and the protein keeps it up. I have to avoid sweets and fasting. By the way - as a diabetic you really should not go that long without food and you should also not eat cookis or doughnuts when you are hypoglycemic. Try to eat regular small meals and keep high protein bars along with fruit or glucose tablets with you at all times to use when you either have to eat or you are hypoglycemic. 

I've had this problem for years since I had EBV (as Glandular Fever which triggered the autonomic dysfunction which was misdiagnosed 8 years later as ME/CFS). If I exert myself I get sugar level drops and changes of temperature are also implicated for me and plenty of hand trembling. I generally have to eat something which is hard as I don't do sweet stuff or carbs, so nibble on some salty snack. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, yogini said:

I am not aware of a correlation between POTS and hypoglycemia.  I am guessing it most likely relates to your diabetes.

Maybe so. This just happens to me from time to time. I have been off insulin for three days now and eating whatever I want from cereal, to donuts, to hamburgers and my blood sugar is on the low side. This happened last year for about three weeks where my body was normalized; well I still had and have to take Metformin, but do not need post meal insulin. Then all of a sudden the diabetes will be back and I will need lots of mealtime insulin again. I hate this because it just changes like the BP and other issues that come and go. I brought donuts to work with me last night and caught the hypo trying to happen and corrected it before I got symptoms. I also figured out how to crank up the air con and that helped my POTS symptoms. I still had a racing HR between 125 and 150, but with the cool air blowing on me, I did not feel dizzy or have to sit back down. It all worked out as I paced myself a bit slower too than I did on the first day. Thanks for the advice!

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, TCP said:

I've had this problem for years since I had EBV (as Glandular Fever which triggered the autonomic dysfunction which was misdiagnosed 8 years later as ME/CFS). If I exert myself I get sugar level drops and changes of temperature are also implicated for me and plenty of hand trembling. I generally have to eat something which is hard as I don't do sweet stuff or carbs, so nibble on some salty snack. 

It could be both the diabetes and the dysautonomia. The body is soo darn complex. One little thing goes out of balance and it throws the whole system into chaos. 

I have early satiety, I just don't eat enough at times because I fill up on very little. I have to eat many times a day or I flare and flare and flare. Being depleted does a major number on my symptoms. They don't tone back down until I get some food into me. A glass of milk usually does the trick as it is a glass of rapidly digestible sugars and electrolytes. If I were lactose intolerant I could drink almond or soy milk for the same nutrients but I've always got 2% here. 

On 6/16/2018 at 2:35 AM, blizzard2014 said:

It could be both the diabetes and the dysautonomia. The body is soo darn complex. One little thing goes out of balance and it throws the whole system into chaos. 

That's very true. I currently have a pituitary tumour and it's messed up all my hormones. Yikes!