Tilt Table Test

This has probably been answered before --- but I was at my PCP today, trying to get an ANA test, but was rebutted because they told me dysautonomia --- and my symptoms --- rule out whatever I was worried about.  How?  Because a normal tilt table test absolutely means I don't have dysautonomia (and that my constellation of symptoms don't necessarily point to any of the co-existing conditions).  Is this true?  Basically, his argument was: "The tilt table test can't prove what kind of dysautonomia you have but can rule it out entirely."  Again --- is this true?

Thanks in advance.  I'm beside myself.  I can't get these doctors to listen to me.  They keep telling me it's all in my head.  It's maddening.  

Zer0

3 minutes ago, MomtoGiuliana said:

I'm sorry the doctor is not taking your symptoms seriously.  Discouraging they would not do an ANA test. 

Did you have any symptoms during the test?  Were you having a better day on the day of the test?  It is possible to have variable symptoms and not be very symptomatic some days.

I'm not sure what those would be.  I answered 0 to all of their queries: "On a scale of 1-10, do you feel dizzy?" "On a scale of 1-10, do you feel nauseous?"  "One a scale of 1-10, do you feel on the verge of passing out?"  "On the scale of 1-10, do you feel flush, hot, etc?"  I forgot the last question, but it was basically the same, 0.  The only symptoms I had were the ones I've been having: gastroparesis, fasciculations (twitching), issues with perspiration, sleep disorder, etc.  But none of that is surely going to show up on a Tilt Table Test.  I have no issues with BP or HR.  I take it from time to time now and it's never out of bounds.  I took it last night and it was 72 sitting and 72 standing.  130/80 both times, basically. 

My question, though, is if the tilt table test itself can simply rule out dysautonomia ipso facto?  

Thank you for your concern.

Zer0

Well - there are false-negative TTT's but the absence of ALL orthostatic symptoms would most-likely mean that you do not have POTS I had 2 TTT's and was symptomatic in both. But you do not have to have orthostatic intolerance to have dysautonomia - it is just ONE of the symptoms of ANS dysfunction. CFS, Fibromyalgia etc are all included in dysautonomia since they are common symptoms of it.  

Your doctors seem to be saying you don’t have POTS or NCS. However, you could have other forms of dysautonomia like autonomic neuropathy without having Pots or NCS. A tilt table is typically for those, while there are other tests for your other symptoms. A rheumatologist would be a good place to go to rule in or out any symptoms and they could probably do the ANA there. A neurologist that has some understanding of autonomic disorders would also be helpful. Not all are experienced in autonomic disorders so you may need to check around. They could also look into the fasiculations. Can you go to a large teaching hospital in your area? They may have staff with wider experience in dysautonomia.

I know it’s frustrating, many of us have been in your shoes. It can take a while to get a proper diagnosis, and to overcome the ones who keep suggesting it’s psychological. Don’t give up, keep searching for answers!

3 hours ago, Clb75 said:

Your doctors seem to be saying you don’t have POTS or NCS. However, you could have other forms of dysautonomia like autonomic neuropathy without having Pots or NCS. A tilt table is typically for those, while there are other tests for your other symptoms. A rheumatologist would be a good place to go to rule in or out any symptoms and they could probably do the ANA there. A neurologist that has some understanding of autonomic disorders would also be helpful. Not all are experienced in autonomic disorders so you may need to check around. They could also look into the fasiculations. Can you go to a large teaching hospital in your area? They may have staff with wider experience in dysautonomia.

I know it’s frustrating, many of us have been in your shoes. It can take a while to get a proper diagnosis, and to overcome the ones who keep suggesting it’s psychological. Don’t give up, keep searching for answers!

Yeah.  I'm dumping the doctors who insist it's purely psychological.  They're absolutely wrong, I feel.  How is that they can run zero tests and come to that conclusion yet when I ask for tests they just smugly shake their heads and say "Nope.  Waste of time."  ?  It's absurd.  I'm going absolutely out of my d*** mind.  I've never been so enraged and beside myself.  No one is listening to me and no one will even look at the literature I bring them, to show to their own ignorant faces --- like pages from "The Dysautonomia Project."  They're so ignorant.  So very ignorant.  

Zer0