Online Groceries

WinterSown

Does anyone use an online service for grocery shopping? Some of them advertise free delivery if, with membership, you order over X amount of dollars. I'm wondering if the spoons saved are worth it. Pros and Cons? 

WS

Though not in the US, we use it quite often. Fresh vegetables can be a problem (they often deliver them with just one day to go) but all in all quite worthwhile. We have several free delivery possibilities, ie when ordering 6 bottles of water or when delivering on a specific day. I can't do grocerie shopping myself so when my husband doesn't have time or when he's ill we use an online service. Makes my/our life much easier! 

edited to add: oh and they deliver into our kitchen which is great!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! I'm a stickler for lowest price options, so for non-perishables, we order a lot of things online from wherever we find them cheapest - I have a bunch of stuff set up for recurring delivery through Amazon Subscribe & Save. I also have reminders set  to place regular orders for other things from places like WalMart, Costco (they both have free 2 day delivery in my area), etc. But for regular groceries (meat, dairy, bread, produce, etc) I just started using Instacart. I LOVE it. I actually found out that the membership fee was less than what we were spending on gas weekly to go pick up groceries, not to mention the saved time and saved spoons! I'm disabled enough that I can't drive myself and certainly can't shop, especially in Phoenix in the summer. So, my spouse has to do everything - work full time, clean the house, do the laundry, cook, grocery shop, take care of our menagerie (and occasionally our niece and nephew). So it's a LOT. 

Doing online ordering + grocery delivery has freed up time to do other things, plus it's a way I can actually take care of all the grocery shopping myself from my laptop (which makes me feel like I'm finally contributing something to the household!!). 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, if you have amazon prime fresh ($15/month) or Prime now, it’s a life saver! 

If you live in a city where Prime Now is available it comes with your existing prime membership. It’s free grocery delivery from Amazon (which is like your standard grocery store), Whole Foods and Bristol’s farms. I think the minimum you have to order is $35 worth of goods for free delivery, or you can pay the $4.99 delivery fee if you need less. 

I shop mostly from the Whole Foods store since they have the best quality and and it’s really amazing! They offer their 365 store brand too so you get all the same sales and things you’d get in store! And, it’s at your door in two hours or less. You can get everything there! From chicken, milk, eggs, exotic fruits, baking stuff, medicine, makeup, dog treats, everything a normal Whole Foods has. Even sushi! (Although I think delivery sushi is questionable regardless of origin).

And amazon store has 365 brand goods now also since amazon acquired WF. 

if you have a problem with your order, just call the customer service and they fix it for you right away. So easy and Convenient. My entire life is from amazon lol

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot depends on your location, but I use Kroger's Clicklist all the time now. Tried it out when I first became really sick in January and it's been a lifesaver.

Originally poo pooed the idea of someone else picking out my groceries, but got over that real fast when I couldn't hardly walk without presyncope symptoms.

Sometimes there a mess ups, like when an item is out of stock and they sub it with a brand I can't eat, but mostly it's been a great experience. I place the order and can pickup curbside about 4 hours later.

5 hours ago, dizzytizzy said:

I know a lot depends on your location, but I use Kroger's Clicklist all the time now. Tried it out when I first became really sick in January and it's been a lifesaver.

Originally poo pooed the idea of someone else picking out my groceries, but got over that real fast when I couldn't hardly walk without presyncope symptoms.

Sometimes there a mess ups, like when an item is out of stock and they sub it with a brand I can't eat, but mostly it's been a great experience. I place the order and can pickup curbside about 4 hours later.

I'm having problems with waiting on line. I can walk through stores with no problem. It's when I stop moving when i wait on the check out line that I get presyncope or full drop attacks. I don't like when strangers see me shudder and shake. The two local markets now have a delivery service. I have to make up my mind that I want to do this but everytime I have an attack I think, "Oh, it's just this time, it won't happen again.' Then it does. 

Totally understand! With the clicklist thing, I don't even have to get out of the car. Just pull into a designated spot in the parking lot, call them to tell them I'm there, and they bring them out and load them for me.

Or hubby (or a friend or whoever) can pick them up for me instead. I can't handle the line thing either or lots of head movement looking up and down at the shelves.

If we had a delivery service locally, I'd use it instead. But glad to have at least this option!

• 11 months later...

I've been getting delivery once a week now for a while. There isn't a week that goes by I don't buy three of something I don't remember clicking on, but that's happening less.  I've learned to sort for specials and stock-ups, it does make cents, too.

@WinterSown - I live very rural and live 1 hour away from the nearest major Grocery store and also am not able to go shopping, so my husband usually goes to do that. My store does have online ordering available but I have never used this service. Do they charge for this service? I may just have to try it one day. 

Yes, there's a weekly or yearly charge. We first started with the weekly delivery charge then opted to pay for the full year which gets us free deliveries all the time. Some of the grocers may have specials where if you purchase a minimum amount you will get free delivery. They all have their gimmicks. I just finished filling my cart there. It took less time this time because I am getting better at ordering.  I use PeaPod by Stop N Shop. I think a lot of them have similar rules for membership. https://www.peapod.com/home