Strange Question...

Deb M.

I have a weird question for the ladies...

Does anyone have worse dysautonomia symptoms during their periods? Do you think hormonal changes can make things worse?

I was feeling better during the days on my new medicine until I got my period. Now I keep getting a pressing feeling on my chest and neck and lightheadedness as if I weren't on the meds...

It's very annoying!! I keep getting slightly better and then I get hit with a bad day... :)

Deb

Hi, Deb. I have found by reading this board that a lot of women seem to be worse during their period. I am one of them. I don't know what the exact connection is but hormones do seem to play a part. My dysautonomia symptoms are mild compared to some people on this board but during that time of month they are worse. I get light headed, foggy minded, short of breath and my heart races more. My symptoms began during pregnancy so obviously that is another huge hormonal fluctuation.

Also, I have very weird symptom during my periods and it also occurs while on any kind of bcp. I have terrible circulation during this time. It is so bad that my chest hurts, my arms and legs fall asleep and feel tight at night, even when I am lying on my back with my arms and legs to my side. It feels as though I have rubber bands at the tops of my legs and arms and they aren't getting any blood. They don't turn blue or feel cold; they feel achey, tight and prickley. Massage helps but only temporarily. That is why I stopped my last bcp. I couldn't sleep at night because my circulation was so bad. Anyway, you are not alone on this.

Definitely worse during this time of the month!

Some of the women on the forum are on Seasonale for this reason - which only allows you to have your period about 4 times a year I think. (I'm not on this)

Hang in here!

Lisa

YES DEFINATELY!

I get much worse when it is time for me to have a period... it ***** big time..

usually during this time I try to take it easy and not add any extra stress to my body..

this is also usually the time the i pass out the most too, and get the severe migraines... UGH...

However I only get a period about once every 9-12 months.. i am terribly irregular..

so dont feel alone in feeling worse during menstrual time...

I am pretty much only sympomatic to the point I can't handle during my hormone changes. I actually realized I'm worse around ovulation time than I am during my periods, even though it ***** around my periods too. I've always had more pain and stuff around ovulation pre POTS . I don't know if this is common or not but than again I never fall in to the "common" category

Dayna

you'll probably come across my ramblings about this if you did/do a search on the topic, but for me the problems would come a few days BEFORE my period. as a result of hormone fluctuations it is actually most common for all women to have a mild drop in BP a day or two before one's period starts and for me i was way too sensitive to this. i would pass out like clockwork, the one advantage being that i knew when me period was on it's way?! being on birth control continuously has helped me immensely in this regard. i allow myself to get a period every 3-4 months & even then i don't get as ill.

:-)melissa

My symptoms were so bad when I got my period that I usually ended up in the ER during that time. Now I am on birth control pills 365 days a year, so I never have a period. It's not a cure for POTS, but it's made my ER trips less frequent.

Bren