Local anaesthetic with POTS please help!

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding local anaesthetic injections with POTS?

I am having a lip biopsy on Tuesday to test for Sjogren's as a cause for my POTS, which will be done with local anaesthetic. 

Obviously I do not want anything with adrenaline or that is adrenergically acting. I have seen a fellow EDS patient in a really bad way, whole body shaking etc for many hours after a dental local anaesthetic, and she doesn't even have POTS. 

I do not trust the medical team to know anything about POTS or even be bothered to look it up, so I would like to know for myself what is safe/what to avoid in terms of local anaesthesia. 

I would rather have it done with no anaesthetic than receive anything adrenergic. I am travelling to and from the hospital alone on the bus in my wheelchair, so cannot afford to be a mess afterwards. 

Any experiences much appreciated.

B x

I have hyperadrenergic POTS and have had problems with anesthesia but have had local anesthesia at my dentist without problems. However - he used what he called " the old " anesthetic which apparently has less adrenalin. Not sure what that is, sorry. But to be on the safe side - PLEASE arrange for someone to go with you and can bring you home in case there are problems. 

I usually get dental anesthetic without the epi in it. It works but it wears off faster so they have to give me a couple of injections to make it through the procedure. I know you’re a physician yourself, so it wouldn’t hurt to touch base with your team beforehand and give them a heads up about your concerns. Even if they don’t know about POTS, they would probably take it more seriously since you are a physician. A lot of people are allergic to the epi in anesthesia so I’m sure they have an alternative. Hope everything works out ok. 

Agreed on avoidance of the Epinepherine, but have also had trouble with prilocaine (other name citanest) even though it doesn't have Epi. See side effects.

However, I now request Carbocaine (other names: polocaine, mepivacaine) and have done just fine with it. None of the awful winded cardiac dizzy thing I've experienced in the past. It is shorter acting, and I request it special ordered before appointments. So while I don't know if it would work for you, for me it's been such a relief to know I'll do just fine with it. Hope your biopsy goes OK. That can be nerve wracking. 

Thanks for all of your replies. I explained that I had POTS and SHOULD NOT be given anything with adrenaline in it. They had no clue what POTS was but made sure I got an adrenaline free LA, lidocaine. I was fine with this and had no side effects & I would recommend it for anyone with POTS or hyperadrenergic issues needing a local.

Thank you for the update - I am so happy you did well. I know how scary any procedures are for us! This will surely answer some questions for others. I hope your biopsy comes back negative. My M-I-L has Sjorgens syndrome, so I am quite familiar with it