ps: my power company DOES have disability services

The phone rep who told me, last night, that it's first come first served even when one has disabilities was wrong last night on the phone. The gentleman who emailed me tonight gave me a phone number to call for paperwork. Once I file it with them, all calls from me will be rated with a higher priority to get serviced quickly due to disability or health impairment.

good to learn that, even if a little too late for yesterday's AC outage. at least I know for next time :(

Edited by MightyMouse

nina,

thank you for updating us on that. REALLY important information to know...

hopefully your A/C won't go again, and you won't need to even deal with this again! but, in the event that it does, you know you will be covered. peace of mind.

we had our A/C go too one summer...during the hottest days, of course, and we went through the same rigamaroll (sp?). it was awful. i can definately empathize...

i will keep this information in mind if we ever need service again in an emergency situation...thanks...

emily

p.s. look at your topic title...:( you will crack yourself up at your spelling! :) i had to tease you! your brain really is fried...here's a homework battery....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppp!

OMG Em!!!! I seriously sizzled some brain matter between last night and today... now I'm thanking goodness I have special moderator powers to I can actually FIX the title... :(

Sounds like you've been through an ordeal! I'm so sorry you had to go through that but I'm glad you have some a/c as of now!!

Do you mind my asking...what was the procedure for you to get the form and what kind of information do they need from you? I'm getting ready to move soon and I think I might see if my company has something like this.

Hope you stay cool now!! :(

Guest Julia59

Nina,

First---I'm sorry you had to deal with the heat without air conditioning----ugggg :(

But now i'm glad to hear it is fixed, and it's good to hear you can get it handled much quicker now----- :)

I know how hard that must have been for you---the heat----well it's better now.

This heat is terrible. It will be 96 degrees when we drive to Milwaukee next Monday for my appointment on Tuesday---about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Toledo. I pray nothing on the car breaks down. We have a 99 honda accord, and a 98 honda accord. We'll take the 99---however, it has more miles--about 70K, which is nothing for a Honda. Knock on wood.

My husband drives the 98 which actually has less miles, but the 99 is the car we take everywhere. Got the oild changed and the tires check, and the fluids topped tonight. Keep your fingers crossed. The heat is rough on all cars.

Our Central Air conditioner broke down last year, it was kind of rough, but I don't think it was as hot---I think the 80s.

This makes me think of all of those who don't have Air conditioning---(all the time), and if they have an illness like ours or MS---uggg---I just can't imagine.

Hope you stay cool------------- :)

Julie :0)

I'm so much happier with my ac blasting ....ahhhh :(

I'm glad to share the info I learned today and hope it might help someone. Here's what I sent to our public service power company via an email form on their customer service webpage:

"Tonight I called for service on my central AC under my worry-free contract. I have a disability that impairs my ability to regulate my body temperature (among other things), and am not able to tolerate heat without risking a hospital visit. I was surprised to be told that all service is first come-first serve and that there is no priority given to those who are at high risk for a health emergency. Was the phone service person correct in stating this? Is there any type of special arrangement for those with disabilities that require either careful temperature control, and/or require electrical equipment?

Thank you for your time."

and...

Here's what the rep sent me back this am via email:

"There is a priority given for service to people with health conditions. Please call our Credit & Collection Department and request the health priority form. They are available Mon-Fri, 7:30AM - 8:00PM at 1-800-xxx-xxxx."

Nina

Ooh that heat! I remember when we had the black out here in the east, right on my little guys birthday too, guess we will always remember that birthday. It was soooo hot and we did not have power for two days. Thank goodness I was not in too bad shape at that time, now if it were to go out this year, forget it. I don't have central ac, a rinky dink one in the wall in the dining room which does not reach the living room well, and we have not yet gotten one for our bedroom, we have casement windows so we have to get one to put in the wall and have someone come and cut it etc, and it is on the second floor. So needless to say we sleep alot in the living room or the kids room.

Glad to hear you will be right on top of the list if it happens again! Hope you are keeping cool now. :(

nina -

good to know that in the midst of a cruddy situation you at least have the right info now. and that you received a fairly speedy response when you did email. what's sad is that i bet most people who need the service have no idea, and most probably wouldn't have followed through like you did. glad you're once again in the A/C...

:-)melissa

p.s. your editing powers took out all the enjoyment us others may have gotten who didn't see the post until post-editing! i'll just have to use my imagination & make up something goofy, k? :P

Melissa, my thread's title line had me spelling disability something like

disabisility

:P

the actually finally finished the AC fix today, installing the new circuit board.

Nina

Glad it worked out, Nina. A few years ago, the airconditioning in my car broke down. The service department at the dealer said we could bring in the car the following week. It must have been 125 degrees that week in Washington, D.C. When my husband told the dealer about my problem, they said to bring it in right away and they gave us a loaner car. Last summer, I got a flat tire. The roadside assistance asked if I had a medical problem because of the heat and when I said yes, they said they would be out within the next 15 minutes. And, they were!

I found that if something someone says doesn't make sense, keep checking higher up the management change.

nina -

lol. when i had my neck surgery the admission paperwork asked if one had a learning disability...with "disability" spelled some variety of incorrect. i could hardly stand it. it gave me a much needed smile that early morning as i was just a wee bit nervous, but i couldn't believe they let that through the cracks. perhaps i'm easily entertained but it still cracks me up :P

glad to hear your air is now genuinely good to go...

goldicedance -

always nice to hear positive stories of encounters with the real world. as big of an issue as it would be for me, i never would have even thought about mentioning my health in terms of roadside assistance....good to know.