DNRS program?

Wanda

According to their website

The Dynamic Neural Retraining System™ is a natural, drug- free, neuroplasticity-based healing program that can help you recover from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Lyme Disease, Food Sensitivities, Anxiety, Chronic Pain, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and many other conditions Many of these conditions are related to a chronic stress response...

I've been helped a lot just by going off of supplements and getting what I need from all I eat and drink. I didn't pay extra for it and it was advice from my cardiologist, not a dot com. Before you drop a nickel on retrainingthebrain  perhaps get an opinion about their program from a neurologist or the better business bureau because if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. 

I had a look at the website, especially the page titled 'How The Program Works'. I saw a lot of buzz words and marketing talk but little in terms of science. The 'How The Program Works' page can be distilled to two sentences, stripped back to their meaningful content:

"This [...] behavioural intervention [...] focuses on the training of [...] skills including attention focusing, attention distraction, cognitive reappraisal, emotional distancing and emotion regulation."

"This [...] shifts the brain and body from a chronic sympathetic response associated with the fight or flight state into a parasympathetic state [...]."

I would avoid it. Unless you are looking for techniques for managing anxiety/emotional-stress, this program doesn't seem to have much to offer. Even if you are looking for such techniques, plenty of info on this is widely available for free online.

I know someone who has tried it for electro-magnetic hypersensitivity ( they apparently become physically and mentally ill from exposure to certain lights and especially cellphones. Two of those people I know swear by it however - I cannot observe a huge different. They still live in houses covered with aluminum foil and still avoid fluorescent lights and microwaves, cellphones, cordless phones etc... 

I did try this and whilst I can see how cognitive based measures may help for people with some of the conditions mentioned such as anxiety or phobias around certain foods or electronic devices, it cannot help with an organic illness like dysautonomia. They supposedly offer a refund after 6 months if you are not satisfied, so in another month I can hopefully get my money back. Whether this actually proves to be the case or is difficult I do not yet know. There is kind of a culture that if you don't improve it is your own fault, which I also dislike. I would save your money, try to be as positive in your outlook as possible, pray if you believe in God, exercise if you can, eat as well as you can and you will basically have saved yourself nearly 300 pounds/dollars. 

I believe the people in the testimonials who claim to have recovered from POTS probably had it due to being malnourished and/or deconditioned due to other "illnesses" that are not real illnesses, and once they started eating and moving around more, their "POTS" went away. 

I haven't tried it, but there's another thread on this here, where I wrote a fairly detailed response with my opinion of the program from just the ads and speaking to reps, etc.: https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/27200-dynamic-neural-retraining-system/

Long story short, it's using neuroplasticity, which is a cool concept and I believe is useful to help create new pathways in the brain that can stimulate healing, but I do not personally believe it is a cure, in and of itself. Keep in mind that's just my opinion based on what I know of neuroplasticity, though, so it's possible you may try it and find something different. Personally, I use neuroplasticity programs (not the DNRS one though) as an adjunct to my other therapies and find that I heal faster and feel better when I use it, as opposed to when I don't, but I have to have a good treatment regimen in place in order for it to work. For example, I have strongly suspected lyme disease, and always feel better when I'm on antibiotics. If I add neuroplasticity to my antibiotic protocol, I seem to feel better faster than with antibiotics alone, if that makes sense. But if I do the neuroplasticity without the antibiotics, it doesn't affect my lyme symptoms at all.

I have tried it and noticed a pretty significant reduction in symptoms very quickly (within a few weeks) when I was able to commit to practicing the techniques every day. Better sleep, more energy, better HR, more positive thinking, overall just better than I have felt in a long time. I felt like it helped me start to climb out of the hole that I feel like I fell into with POTS. But the hard part is you have to stick with it, and I have 2 small kids and am in the middle of a move so getting time set aside every day has been almost impossible. I do recommend the program very much and I do hope to start back up once I'm more settled. I developed POTS suddenly during the third trimester of pregnancy 2 years ago, and am currently on metoprolol ER, and H1&2 for possible mast cell issues. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@JoeJack101 Yes the DVDs take some time to get through. But all of the information really helps you get a grasp of what has happened to your body, how neuroplasicity works, how you can actually affect your brain chemistry to heal your body. Even after the DVDs you continue learning as you begin practicing,  and from the experience of others on the community forum. Part of me thinks that there are many aspects of modern life that make us more prone to developing dysautonomia, chronic illness that primitive people did not have? A good question. 

Hi there. 

Ive been doing DNRS for almost 6 months now. I was diagnosed with POTS in 2014, but was sick for years and years before that. When I first looked into it, and checked out their website, my first reaction was, "too good to be true. This looks like just another scam." I blew it off. Nothing could help that much, especially something that was, "brain retraining." However, about a year after that I discovered Sarah Jackson Panther and Patrick from ' What POTS Really Is' on YouTube. Neither of them work for DNRS, and so are unbiased. After hearing their stories, I decided to try the program. 

I can easily say it's changed my life. I can do things I haven't been able to do and enjoy in years, and I'm starting to feel alive again.  I feel like God's been using it to change my life. I can eat food I havent been able to eat in awhile, I'm running and getting stronger, I can go camping, I get out of bed easily in the morning, I even wake up with energy. I'm starting to think about doing a full-time job again one day (not there quite yet), and going back to finish my masters degree in several months.

Before this, I had gone to Mayo Clinic for a week for their POTS program, traveled across the country, changed my diet drastically (which helped a fair amount), been on medication, been on supplements, seen countless of doctors, etc. But DNRS has been a Godsend- and to my continued amazement, it's helped more than all of those things. 

I will say it is a LOT of dedication, and a LOT of hard work. You have to really want it, and it's not easy. But being sick is harder. Without a doubt, it's been worth all of the hard work and persistence.

DNRS doesnt work for every single person. I dont think there's anything out there that will work for everyone. That said, I havent found anything else that's helped so many. 

I would check out unbiased testimonies to help make your decision. I really like Patrick on What POTS Really Is on YouTube, because he interviews others who have gone through DNRS or similar programs, so you get to hear others views and stories. There are others out there unaffiliated with the program, and worth a look. Good luck

47 minutes ago, Kat123 said:

I can eat food I havent been able to eat in awhile

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying something they truly believe could help (and I have tried this program myself) but one thing I have observed consistently in the testimonials is pretty much everyone has a long list of conditions of which POTS is noted well down the list (like who would seriously care what someone else's perfume smells like when they can't stand without passing out) and a limited intake of food is common. I suspect a lot of these cases genuinely did have orthostatic intolerance but the main issues were malnutrition and inactivity due to "fatigue" & other vague reasons in an otherwise healthy body, and once they started eating properly and moving around their ability to stand normalized as it would in any healthy person after a period of being immobile/malnourished. One lady mentions being around 88 pounds. No wonder she was passing out!

47 minutes ago, Kat123 said:

You have to really want it, and it's not easy.

This is the kind of quote that comes up a lot in the DNRS promotion and online community, a sense that if it doesn't work then it is somehow your own fault for not wanting it badly enough or trying hard enough. We all know that's not the case. Nobody on here wants to remain sick and we try and try again multiple different treatments and lifestyle changes exercise etc with tremendous determination and strength. 

I have Ehler's Danlos Syndrome, which I cannot be positive is implicated in my POTS but there is a strong association. I was born with it and no amount of positive visualization is going to change my genes or my collagen. 

DNRS also did not honour the promised refund when I asked to return the pack after 6+ months.  I sold mine on ebay for a lot less than I paid for it and I did feel a bit guilty like I was conning someone else, but on the other hand the advertisements had already done that and at least they didn't pay full price for it. Before anyone thinks I am completely amoral I chatted to the buyer and they did not have dysautonomia (or cancer or ALS or any other serious organic illness in which case I don't think I could have taken money for it and would have had to have told them straight up what I thought - in fact they were well enough to run their own business and using it for an indication with which I have no personal experience and cannot say it wouldn't work). I discovered you can also transfer membership of the forum quite easily too, which we did. 

I would suggest if anybody wants to try it, see if you can get a second hand set either free or much cheaper. If something had miraculously cured me and I was able to work etc I would have been happy to pass on the pack free to help someone else and you don't tend to see anyone offering this but they do come up for sale secondhand now and again. 

B x

I have to agree with @bombsh3ll - although I myself have not tried the program I know people who have ( for reasons other than POTS ). I have no doubt that this program can help some but I have not seen any evidence of successful treatment in the people I know that I personally know that have tried it.