POTS medical alert dog

We are continuing to work with/owner train my Great Dane. She started the alerting behavior on her own we just encourage it and working on manners ect. We may not push to the point of having her as a full time SD but when I need her most is at home in the shower anyway. No more concussions in the shower for me! Once I get to the point of being able to stand and walk a little without passing out we may double down on the other aspects of training so I can be more independent. I think it's crucial to take into account all aspects of a SD handler relationship before making a decision as there is so many variables. It would be impossible for me to have my dog, or work with her, without the amazing help I get from my family. It can be a lot of work and a big undertaking not just for the handler. I hope you are able to find what works for you!

(Here's a pic of my girl, I'mIMG-20170103-WA0013.thumb.jpg.83da20595c43cf4746bf1d693548682f.jpg just proud of her lol!)

@ANCY I have POTS with very much the same symptoms as you (although I am lucky to get good days). I showed your post about your marvelous dog to my 13 year old daughter and she would like you to know that she loves your dog and the coloring reminds her of a cow but in god way (don't ask) I think that is meant as a compliment. Best wishes for you and the special dane. 

Thanks Dancer, totally agree! Dogs can be so helpful and leave a hole in your heart when they're gone. 

Cara, I don't know of anything they have identified scientifically, when I did my research the most prevalent theories were either by scent detection due to hormonal changes in the body or by listening to the heartbeat. Whichever it is its incredible! We have 3 dogs but my great dane is the only one that will alert. We fostered what started as a concerned, focused, attention, unusual for her as a 6 month old puppy,  that we observed when I was experiencing pre-syncope.  We originally adopted her as a pet but greater things were in store. She is very smart and very very good at problem solving. I think that is also probably key. I have given her doggy puzzles before but stopped buying tbem as she figures them out in minutes and even when we took it away after 6 months she automatically knew how to manipulate it. We have goats and horses and she heards them, we can ask her to cut one from the heard and she knows exactly who we are talking about. She has had 0 training for this and it's pretty amazing to watch. Our boy goat actually enjoys playing with her, except when she confuses his horns for dog toys lol! Otherwise she is very gentle and mothering to nannies and kids alike.  She certainly is a gift and a pleasure to own her! 

I do not know if this helps but I have a german shepherd who has sat down by me when I get presyncopal and on more than one occaision has alerted my husband when I passed out. How she knows I am unconscious versus just sleeping - I have no clue. 

I have a trained SD through a private trainer. When she was a puppy and learning to alert, the trainer explained that she's not necessarily in tune with my heart rate or blood pressure directly, but rather that she can sense subtle body language changes before I do. So the trick to it is just getting her to notice whatever I am not aware that I am doing. We did that by giving her treats as soon as I did notice symptoms, and eventually she would connect the more subtle things with "I'm about to get a treat" and run over.