MORNINGS AND LOW PRESSURE WEATHER SYSTEMS

Machair

Can anyone describe the horror of the first couple of hours each morning, as I am really struggling and it seems like it is taking me all day to get stable. Are you all in this boat? Mornings seem to be dreadful - it is sheer willpower getting me out of bed and I am waking up boiling hot again at dawn. Had my thyroid checked that is ok though T3 on the borderline of low. Vitamin D was low so that is being treated- everything else ok. Is it the time of year as we have very very low pressure here in the UK and I have noticed I seem to be worse at this time of year generally- end of the winter. Anyone else find mornings dreadful and also low pressure weather?

Guest KiminOrlando

Have them draw an 8:00 cortisol level to check your adrenals. You may find that they are abnormally low causing you to feel like you are clawing your way out of a deep pit just to get out of bed. 

Mornings are the WORST!

That is interesting - have you personal experience of this and have you treated it? I have CFS which by definition causes low cortisol so this may be important.

On the advice of my neurologist I drink 500-1000mls of water and take my fludricortisone and a couple of salt capsules 45 minutes before I get out of bed.  Are you sleeping 8 or so hours?  Getting my sleep normalized with meds helped me manage mornings.  I agree with having adrenals checked.

Guest KiminOrlando

Yes, this happens to me. My cortisol levels rebound to normal by the afternoon, but in the mornings I start out in a hole. They aren't really treating it with meds because it would give me Cushing's in the afternoons. In the mornings, it is like I have Addison's. They don't know what to do about it, so my days start about 10:30. I am not functional before then. If I try, my entire day is destroyed.

Yes. Mornings are bad for me. Really, my brain doesn't start to boot-up until around 2:00 PM. Sometimes on a really good day, things start to boot up at 11:00 AM. 

I wake up at 6:00 AM and eat a big breakfast, so that I can distribute some of the negative effects of eating (post-prandial stupor) to a time in the day when I am not very functional anyway.

It takes me a couple of hours to get moving in the morning too.  It's like I'm trying to drive with the emergency brake on, and I forgot where I put the keys. There are days where I don't have a choice but to be up and moving to get somewhere early. I pay for these mornings for a few days with fatigue, pain and brain fog.  

I also sweat at night, but not every night, and usually closer to dawn than early in the night. I sweat and then I freeze because I'm wet and then I sweat and then I freeze and... you get it. When I sweat at night, it is usually from my blood pressure going crazy and skyrocketing. I have hyper-PoTS so my blood pressure is always high. But sometimes at night it goes crazy and one of the body's first defenses to acute high blood pressure is to expel fluids, sweating. I don't know what type of dysautonomia you have, but it might be worth tracking your BP for a little while to see what it's doing on nights that you sweat.

@Machair MORNINGS ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST! I work at a hospital and my day starts around 5:30. I usually have my worst symptoms from 7-10:30ish at the start of my shift. Chugging water, taking my salt tablets & fludricortisone, as well as compression stockings are pretty much the only things that help my day progress. But yeah, mornings absolutely suck for POTS.

• 4 weeks later...

Add me to the "mornings suck' crowd.  Typically, my blood pressure absolutely tanks while I'm sleeping (<80/45, pulse <45).  When I wake up, my BP & pulse are still stuck in comatose mode and getting up just results in me passing out.  It normally takes me about 1-2 hours before I'm ready to shower and head out the door.  

My body has a Jekyll & Hyde thing going on.  I'm either feeling good or feeling pretty bad.  Not much inbetween.