Florinef: is potassium check covered by insurance

katyroq

I'm taking florinef, and in the 1st month my potassium went from 4.5 to 3.5 (range 3.3-5). Its now 6 months and I want to make sure I'm still within range. The student health center at my university said it may not be covered by insurance. I realize that every insurance is different, but from what I understand it's very important to check potassium with this drug. Although my cardiologist who prescribed the florinef thinks it's a super benign drug and I'm only taking 0.1 MG. So she's not concerned and did not order the test obviously. 

Does anyone on florinef have to take the potassium testing into their own hands? Is it always the prescribing Dr who monitors it? I have a good doctor at the student health center who is helping me more with pots than my cardiologist, but she's the one who said insurance may not cover it. Sorry not feeling well today of nothing is making sense. I got a bad infection from low immune system due to florinef, which my cardiologist never warned me to be careful about. 

Guest KiminOrlando

My insurance covered it at .1 mg florinef, but my doctor ended up putting me on prescription potassium to solve the problem, ultimately because it is a known issue. You may want to look at that for a long term solution. 

Thanks. So whether it's covered may be connected to the drug itself.  I checked my statement from my bloodwork in November and it was $40 and lists 2 dates for payment. One is in December and it's "insurance denied :non covered services". Then in Feb is listed "path unbillable clin comp" with - $40 to bring my balance to 0. Not sure what that means but I call my insurance. 

Also "Always hoping"... What a lovely name. Touched me just now... Yes we must cling to hope. I sometimes think of looking for the little bubbles of hope that are rising even from the great dark depths of this illness. That's all we really have.