What causes Tachycardia for you?

DAB19

Hi, I'm new to DINET, and I have just been recently diagnosed with POTS. I have good days and bad days, but over the last day or so I noticed an uptick in my tachycardia. I started Carvedilol 12.5 once a day about two weeks ago, and I think it's been helping for the most part to control the tachycardia (however I do notice bradycardia sometimes). I wanted to know, what other things (besides exercise and exertion) do you notice bring on your tachycardia? Yesterday I had to fast for a test and I wasn't able to eat or drink anything for 8 hours prior, could this be part of why I'm noticing more tachycardia? I don't know if this is important or not but I am a 19-year-old male and I suffer from orthostatic hypertension, not hypotension. 

I am sorry that you have these issues. What I have noticed is tat ANYTHING can bring on dysautonomia symptoms. Physical or emotional stress, illness, temperature changes ( as in seasonal changes ),  too much or not enough exercise, big or skipped meals (as you experienced) .... and then sometimes you just don't know what on earth brought it on.  I also have orthostatic hypertension - but I have orthostatic hypotension as well. Depends on the day.  I take Carvelidol, diltiazem, guanfacine in the way of cardiac meds. I tried other beta blockers but for me the carvelidol worked best. I find that sometimes I need to add a little more Carvelidol if tachycardia or palpitations get too bad but I try not to mess with my neds too much since I am trying to achieve balance of my ANS. I wish you the best .

I take carvedilol 12.5 twice a day, I used to take 25 twice a day; my EP has been weaning me off of a lot of the drugs I take for high blood pressure. I lost weight and I go to PT twice a week, and I walk everyday--I didn't used to be able to but I worked up to it. Perhaps talk to your doctor about what can be done by both of you to get you to where you can begin cutting down on your meds. 

You mentioned fasting. When I am running on empty all my symptoms are way amplified. I get relief sipping down a glass of milk which is a quickly utilized source of both electrolytes and real food. I'm not even to half a glass when I start to feel much better. I feel more steady, less shakes and have better clarity. I can digest milk so that works for me, if you are dairy-intolerant many soy milks have equal amounts of electrolytes--check the labels.  Last fall I began eating more foods that are rich in electrolytes. I feel it has lessened the severity when my symptoms are doing mega flares; it's taking the edge off the worst of it. Feel better soon. 

Causes of tachycardia for me:  PREGNANCY... heat, dehydration, walking up stairs, exhaustion, extreme stress, being upright for too long, certain times of day (afternoon) seem worse, humidity, not getting my IVs on time, hunger, most medications, BIRTH CONTROL PILLS, hormonal fluctuations, certain vitamins

Those are just a few I can think of.  Sometimes they still come out of the blue.  Before I was pregnant and up until about 27 weeks, I was managing them more with IVs.   Now, late in the pregnancy they are becoming unmanageable.