i need help , crazy docs appt

sydney101

I still haven't gone to my neurologist doctor yet to hopefully give me some answers pertaining to my p.o.t.s but i've been having some stomach issues and no matter what I bring up it seems because of my age or something all of the doctors ive met have treated me like the answer to everything is anxiety, now i've struggled with anxiety so I think that gives me the right to say I know how I and my body reacts to that sort of thing and that I can proudly say I have come a long way in my life that I have discovered  skills to have a happy and healthy lifestyle for myself. so I went and met with a GI doctor today for the first time and he didn't seem to listen to my concerns about my extreme bloating after eating, loss of appetite for over a week now, feeling full after a few bites, and  acid reflux. he ignored every one of those symptoms and put it under anxiety after just meeting me and focused on my acid reflux and scheduled me for a scope. I feel like he disregarded me and my concerns and wouldn't talk about options or concerns with me and he simply stated that because ive been diagnosed with (pots) that now im realizing everything that is happening to my body that I am over amplifying the situation?! I didn't like his answers or his argument towards why I shouldn't be worried about my concerns. And I know what im feeling is there. I proved my other doctor wrong with my heart so I know its not all in my head and im tired of feeling like that. I called the office back and asked them if there was a test I could take before the scope to see how fast it takes for gastric emptying because I know gastroparisis can be linked to pots , im not saying I have that but I rather make sure theres nothing wrong with the messaging going on in my body before we look at the physical side of things with the scope. he said he thinks its ridiculous and hes not going to grant me that test. to give me peace of mind or at least try to look at everything rather than what is easiest. I went there for my stomach and the doctor wants to look at my throat for Barretts disease I don't know how he got his degree but I don't want to go under on his table when i'll wake up and he will tell me nothing is wrong because hes looking in the wrong place. please what would you do?

Sorry you are having such a hard time. Although your GI doctor sounds like he did not make you feel heard he is right by recommending a scoping. I have severe stomach issues from POTS and had several scopes which showed Barrett's, duodenitis and GERD. Only a EGD can diagnose that, plus they do biopsies that can show other causes of your symptoms. If they show nothing they can do studies like gastric-emptying or barium-swallow studies if necessary. But the EGD is the right step to take first. -- I know that it is difficult to deal with doctors that label you with anxiety being the cause of everything but as a GI doc he will look at your GI tract first, regardless of the suspected cause.   If I were you I would follow his instructions and have the EGD. 

Guest KiminOrlando

I have gastroparesis and had the gastric emptying test, but first had to have all of the scopes. I recommend doing all of his tests, then go from there. It is a pain, but they do need to rule out more common stuff.

I had the gastric emptying test with my POTS tests, TTT, QSART, EMG etc.  I wasn’t scoped until later when I developed GERD-like symptoms and couldn’t eat.  My neurologist did all the initial testing.  Are you seeing a neurologist?  In my experience they look at more issues than cardiologists. That’s just my experience so please don’t anyone flame me.  I know that there are awesome cardiologists, I have one now in addition to my neurologist.  Can whomever diagnosed POTS recommend a more POTS-conversant GI?

If you have a bad feeling being treated by this doctor or you don' think they are listening to you ,,just fire them and find a new one . Don' waste your time and money on a doc you don' trust....There are many good docs out there,but sometimes you have to interview a few....