Motion Sickness

Hello everyone!

My POTS symptoms have been much worse lately and I've noticed that riding in a car makes me extremely sick. (This is pretty new for me) I seem to get really dizzy and sick to my stomach.

I've gotten motion sickness before but not while riding in the front seat of a car. It seems that it's the dysautonomia making this much worse. Anyone else experience this?

Just wondering if this is another POTS type symptom.

Thanks for always making me feel "normal"!

Lisa

Hi,

When I was bedridden I could not ride in the car at all. Even had a hard time to take the ambulance.

Now the only time I get car sick is when I am in an adrenaline crisis.

Maybe you could take same meds for motion sickness.

Ernie

I've had motion sickness when riding in the rear of a car since early childhood, and I get motion sickness like you wouldn't believe when I'm on the water in any kind of watercraft. My father used to make jokes that I was his built-in chummer (if you fish on the sea, you'll know what that is...if not, it's too gross to elaborate).

Occasionally, I still get car-sick even in the front seat, and I've also gotten air-sick. I have no idea if this is and ANS related issue or not...I just know I'm the only one in my family who gets this way.

I think it is common for children to get carsick. I got carsick as a child frequently, especially when riding in the mountains. I can still get carsick if I sit in the back seat of a car. I also tend to get seasick, especially on small boats in choppy waters. Oddly my mother is much much worse with motion sickness than I am, and she has not been diagnosed, at least, with dysautonomia--and certainly if she has it, it is pretty mild.

So, I would not be surprised if there is a connection--but, it is a common phenomenon.

Katherine

i definitely get "car sick". the back seat is the worst for me, the passenger seat in between, and driving actually the worst. the worse i'm doing in terms of my health in general, the worse it is. i don't drive when i'm doing really poorly but prefer to whenever i can b/c i feel much better behind the wheel...the more starting & stopping involved in a trip, the harder time i have with it.

:-)melissa

Hello everyone!

My POTS symptoms have been much worse lately and I've noticed that riding in a car makes me extremely sick.  (This is pretty new for me)  I seem to get really dizzy and sick to my stomach. 

I've gotten motion sickness before but not while riding in the front seat of a car.  It seems that it's the dysautonomia making this much worse.  Anyone else experience this?

Just wondering if this is another POTS type symptom.

Thanks for always making me feel "normal"!

Lisa

I have always gotten sick in a car from childhood, I get it now too in the front seat. It always happens. They say it is normal at Vanderbilt. That alot of people experience this, so I waould say yes it is a normal thing for POTS.

Oh yeah, boy... I never had any motion or car sickness until the past few years. I always sit in the front seat because our kids are always in the back but it hits big time in the front. I definitely think it is ANS related. Like other ANS sxs, it is aggravated by heavy meals, lack of rest, and dehydration. However, sometimes it just hits out of the blue and other times I can ride for hours with few problems. Here is what I have found to help: peppermint (peppermint gum is great- peppermint candy is better), closing my eyes, eating small, light meals when travelling, stopping frequently to walk, lots of fluid and salt. Reading can be a problem now and I hate that because I use to love reading on long car trips.

Carmen