How do you drink your fluids?

p8d

I have a 24 oz. glass bottle that I keep with me.  I fill it with water, add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add 5 squirts of Mio Electrolyte drops and shake it up.  

I drink that throughout the day.  Before I was even diagnosed with POTS I was already in the habit of keeping a bottle of water with me to drink wherever I went. 

If you want to get in the habit of drinking fluids all day, you may want to keep a drink beside you at all times.  Set alarms on your phone or on some other device to remind you to drink it every hour or so in case you forget.  Once you have been doing that for awhile you may not need the alarms anymore.  Another thing you can do is keep a gallon of water in the fridge or on the counter and that is your amount you need to drink for the day.  It's easier to keep track of how much you have had and how much you still need if you do that.

Honestly?   I don't drink anywhere near enough water.  Go ahead, slap my hand now.  I already know I should drink more. 

Remember that moisture in your food also counts as far as the body's concerned.  It's not real concerned if the water is coming from water, meat, salad, etc.  Thus, choosing foods with a higher moisture content over drier ones is a good idea, not to mention that these usually are healthier, less-processed foods to begin with.  

I do try to make sure I have cold water close-at-hand throughout the day, which helps a lot.  I'm not a fan of room-temperature water.  Having water which actually tastes good makes a huge difference. 

Also, beware of drinks which dehydrate you.  Alcohol, sodas, and caffeine will dehydrate you. As much as they are enjoyable, they're best avoided if you can find the will to do so. 

I make a fresh large jug of agua fresca every day using strained juice from fruits and veggies high in electrolytes. I've got a jug in the fridge made with the juice from a bag of clementines, they were half off at the store this weekend so I grabbed a bag. I put the juice in the jug and added water to the top. I make two quarts of electrolyte water for whatever the cost of the fruits and/or veggies. This is appeasing to my cardiologist who detests ades and improved waters--he wants me off all supplements. Yesterday, it was a jug of black grape and blackberry agua fresca (sooooo good). I sometimes cook the fruits and veggies to make it easier to extract their juice. Worth the effort (so little spoons!) because it's hydrating, healthy and yummy. My son is getting hooked on it too so that's nice. I also drink water and coffee with milk. 

Many of us get used to drinking lots of water.   If you eat salty foods you get thirsty.  I have a large sports bottle with built in straw - I find that I drink faster/more with the straw.  I keep it next to me and keep refilling.  I probably drink most in the morning and again at night.