Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlissaAmy

Best Place to Live with POTS &EDS

My friend with POTS currently lives in FL, which Dr. Grubb said was prob not the best environment for her due to the humidity and heat. He said San Diego would be great due to the dry air and low elevation levels. I'm just wondering if there are any other locations people would recommend or if anyone has moved to be in a better climate and felt some relief. Looking for locations in the USA. Thank you!

I do not do well in heat and humidity.  I enjoy cold as I can find ways to warm up.  I cannot say dry heat is any better for me but I think it really is dependent on tolerance.  I have done best in coastal PNW and San Francisco Bay.

For me it's similar to what Meghan wrote. If it's a little too warm it's difficult to function. If it's a little too cold I can add or remove warmer clothing as necessary, or move around a bit to warm up and get blood circulating, and it's easier to manage.

I'm a FL native and have noticed that my body does substantially better in northern climates.  When I've been in NY/Ontario/Europe, between the extra walking and climate, I don't seem to struggle anywhere near as much as I do in Florida.   

Heat doesn't get me anywhere near as much as humidity does.  For anyone living in a humid climate, I'd strongly suggest getting a dehumidifier, even if you already have air conditioning.  I seem to feel best with indoor humidity < 45%.  At my home, it's currently 78F inside, 43% humidity.  Feels absolutely heavenly to me. 

I also found cities to be more favorable for me as well.  Lots of walking opportunities throughout the day.  So I'd be able to rack up a few miles in a day, but unlike in the suburban settings, it's a little at a time.   In the suburbs, the only way for me to get the same amount of walking in is to go to the gym and try to bang it out in one or two visits a day. 

This is something I'm also interested in figuring out. It seems that everyone has different experiences with regard to what type of climate has helped them and what exacerbates symptoms. Here are some past threads you might be interested in.

https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/15246-has-anyone-actually-moved-due-to-pots/

https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/19160-where-you-would-live/?tab=comments#comment-176093

https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/26755-altitude-and-dysautonomianeuropathy/?tab=comments#comment-249064

https://www.dinet.org/forums/topic/29174-very-sick-since-moving/?tab=comments#comment-266194'

I live in Phoenix and have for the past four years. I lived in the San Francisco bay area when I was diagnosed with POTS, and felt awful there. I improved quite a bit after moving to Phoenix, even though it was the middle of summer and I don't tolerate heat well at all. The nice thing is that our "winters" are about 75 degrees and pretty stable from October or November through April or May. And even though I'm super heat intolerant, I actually do really well in the summer here. I think it's because the barometric pressure is constantly high, it's dry, and we keep our house at the exact same temp 24/7 (70) and I'm indoors all summer. What I don't like is that we're getting more and more bad air quality / high ozone days, and the cost of living is getting too high. So we are looking to move as well. That is, IF we can find somewhere that's affordable, has an agreeable climate, and good autonomic docs (and PCPs). Which quite frankly is like hunting for a unicorn :)

I do know I can't tolerate cold climates, even though I'm heat intolerant and do well with cold temperatures... if that even makes sense. The fluctuation from summer to winter temps is just too much for my system, and I don't do well with indoor heating, for some reason - makes me really sick, whereas A/C is fine. So I have to be in temps that are as stable / temperate as possible.

Tucson is dry, really nice in winter, and while still hot, not as hot as Phoenix in summer. I feel pretty good there too. I do really well in Boise, ID and eastern OR during spring/summer/fall, but am guessing I probably couldn't tolerate the winters (though they are relatively mild, considering).

But it seems that everyone's experiences regarding where they feel best are highly individual. I've heard two people say they feel best in the Portland & Seattle areas, while two others have said they felt worse there. Some people feel better in Northern California which is where I feel worse. A lot of people have mentioned San Diego and Hawaii as ideal climates. I've come across one or two people who said they felt better in FL, where obviously there are others who say they feel worse there. When I had Lyme, I felt amazing in FL - pretty much symptom-free. So I guess it all depends on the individual quite a bit too.