when sweeping is climbing Mt. Everest

GardenGal

So, I do some funny things to try to clean around here.... crawling around with baby wipes on the bathroom floor, using a mini dust buster in the living room.... AAaaaaaaand, what other secrets should I disclose of the odd positions and tools I've tried in my desperation to maintain some kind of control and sanitation around this place?  And as I fight to make home a refuge not a prison, I find it's the small things that make such a difference in my day. The mint growing on my windowsill, the pretty broken tea cup my first grader uses when we have tea parties, and my blue easy chair by the french doors where I can gaze at the pine trees and humming birds. Would love to hear from you all. What are the funny and beautiful ways that you battle to create peace/cleanliness/joy in your home space?

I sooo relate! To me the funniest thing is that I have to do thing s as my body allows. For example: drop everything because feel suddenly enough energy to vacuum the living room or change sheets and then I am so proud of myself that I tell my husband or call my girlfriend about it! Or - on the opposite - my daughter has to explain that her mom can't make it to a school meeting because "she cleaned the bathroom:!!! How ridiculous is that? --- If I feel good enough to be in a store at all I always know where all the benches are in case I give out. And sometimes I have to sit on the floor and act like I am sooooo interested in the canned asparagus or laxatives on the bottom shelf!  --- Do you ever experience that things that should relax you - like talking on the phone or even listening to music - is like a chore? --- And yes - it all sounds worse than it is because this is our normal and the rewards are there. There are little successes and even records we set, small goals we achieve and at the end of the day we did a lot of smiling. I no longer think about all the things I can no longer do but have learned to celebrate the things I can do. And my family has learned to take it as it goes and that is a big blessing!

I have a squirt bottle of white vinegar I keep on the kitchen sink. I put a few drops of dish detergent in it. I squeeze out a blast onto anything that needs a fast wipe-up. Kitchen vinegar is 5% acetic acid and is a natural way to kill a lot of germs, and it makes quick work of wiping up the stove and counter tops. The vinegar scent doesn't last long. I am now starting to declutter my house. My goal is to toss out one black bag of junk every week, more often if I can. I ask myself would I buy this in a thrift store? No. Would my son like to inherit this? No. So in the black bag it goes. As I toss out junk I may think about some of the memories I had with it but I will make new memories with less stuff to deal with. It's been more than something that makes housekeeping easier simply because I will have less to deal with, it's also a very healing process. Sensory overload is a big trigger for me--less clutter equals less overload and I find things faster too knowing what I have and where it is kept. I'm transitioning from having a life where I could use and enjoy all these things when I was younger and without so many symptoms. I am 60 and we are approaching retirement and I think downsizing is appropriate now too. The house looks tidier and the dejunking has been good for my head.

I love my steam cleaner saves all that scrubbing that I find so challenging these days, I  mostly use home made cleaners and essential oils to help cut down the chemicals . 

My favorite thing my kitchen windows that looks over the Welsh mountains ( live in an upside down house ) so easy to waste hours lost in the view especially watching those beautiful sunsets 

Oh, Dancer65 those times lost in the view are life giving are they not:-). As my world shrinks in some ways, I am often so thankful, renewed and finding joy in things that I would have just overlooked and been to harried to appreciate in another season in my life. What is an upside down house?

WinterSnow I like your vinegar idea! And am inspired to do some purging of my own. Especially my closet. Those precious seconds standing up just after waking are best spent making a delicious french press of joy then gasping for breath looking for something presentable to wear tucked under the piles of old clothes that I never put on and never get rid of.  

Pistol, I grieve with you and relate keenly to trying to explain/respond to why I can't do (fill-in the blank) with my sweet children after doing something like sweeping or cleaning out the car. 

Today I rested most of the morning, but then enjoyed a beautiful dinner with my family and a game of SORRY. Am thankful to be able to choose and do these small things that mean so much! 

12 hours ago, GardenGal said:

WinterSnow I like your vinegar idea! And am inspired to do some purging of my own. Especially my closet. Those precious seconds standing up just after waking are best spent making a delicious french press of joy then gasping for breath looking for something presentable to wear tucked under the piles of old clothes that I never put on and never get rid of. 

I just read an article on that this morning: http://allwomenstalk.com/7-steps-to-getting-dressed-in-a-hurry

Garden girl an upside down house means we sleep downstairs living area/ kitchen /office upstairs. It actually works well here in uk as upatsirs is often warmer and the bedrooms are cool which helps with the heat intolerance ! The only issue i have is carrying shopping uostsirs but hubby is very good and he loves shopping unlike me ! It is a converted train station so very quirky , we downsized four years ago after kids left home ,  

I totaly agree chronic illness (and getting older ) changes the way you view life and i appreciate the little things these days. Along the way I have lost some friends but the very positive thing is  those who are still around are true friends and where as I was always so busy I now make sure I always have time to meet up. 

Winter snow sounds like you are achieving your sorting out really well ! I actually found it very therapeutic getting rid of stuff.

• 10 months later...

I always find myself triaging everything. Kitchen, dining room, and living room are high priority, followed by the play room and mudroom, then bedroom and bathroom last. I like to maintain the idea that I'm not a horrible slob but the bathroom always ends up the last sign of the chaos that is my life.

I did buy myself a really nice flat mop though so that I can at least be ergonomic when I'm tiring myself out with keeping the floors clean with a dog, a cat, a toddler, and a husband that is slowly getting better at keeping up after himself (I think he's developed a whole lot of sympathy for me after seeing me pass out four times this year and go through a slight mental breakdown with all the doctors visits and medication changes).

But ya know what? Everytime I clean the house (which I try to do once a week (but don't always accomplish))... I feel exhausted, but I also feel totally cleansed. A cold, wet bandana on the head (I have been known to throw them in the freezer in summer) also really helps since I tend to get overheated really easy while doing lots of physical tasks. And over time, I've learned to do them in short spurts with breaks for relaxing and drinking water in-between.

• 6 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 2:43 AM, dancer65 said:

I love my steam cleaner saves all that scrubbing that I find so challenging these days, I  mostly use home made cleaners and essential oils to help cut down the chemicals . 

My favorite thing my kitchen windows that looks over the Welsh mountains ( live in an upside down house ) so easy to waste hours lost in the view especially watching those beautiful sunsets 

Agree with you dear.