Hi Everyone,

I have been on atenolol 12.5mg for several weeks to slow down my heartbeat since I have inappropriate sinus tachycardia. Today the doctor doubled my dose so I take 12.5 in the morning and 12.5 in the evening. I'm a little nervous because my blood pressure is in the low range of normal. I'm afraid it will lower my blood pressure more, so it is abnormal. I already feel as if I'm going to faint a lot. I don't need to feel more so because of my medication!

Plus I have asthma, which is under control right now. Apparently, atenolol can cause wheezing as a side effect. Anyone experience this?

Thanks!

Deb

I fortunately did not experience wheezing while on Atenolol. I also understand that the dose increase up to 12.5 twice a day is still considered a "baby dose" designed to blunt the POTS symptoms. However, as I am not a doctor, I would suggest that you raise your concerns with your cardiologist as well as your pulmonologist. :)

I do not have pots, but have been on 25mg. of atenolol for about ten years.It is to control my tachachardia. I also have low blood pressure and it has lowered some, but not enough to bother me except in the heat. I do not wheeze with it and other than being a little more tired on it, I have not had any reactions to atenolol. My son is also on it and only has complained about being more tired than ususal. One good side effect is that it controls migraines. Both my son and I have not gotten any since on it. Now when I get a headache I can take ibupropen and it goes away immediately. I hope it helps you. Linda

hello-

i am not on atenolol but was started on inderal, another beta blocker, so thought i would chime in as the lowered BP was also an issue of consideration for me. i actually take midodrine & mestinon in addition to the BB to help the issue. so the BB lowers my HR (and has done wonders in that regard) and the M & M (hehe) help to keep my BP up to a degree...my standing tolerance still isn't grand but my sitting tolerance has improved greatly.

good luck,

:-)melissa

I'm on 37.5 mg atenolol. I think it's one of the more common BBs and a lot of others on the board take it too. My BP has always been on the low side of normal, 90/60. Surprisingly, atenolol didn't do anything to lower it. I started off taking it with florinef, but I have since stopped the florinef. I am able to keep up my BP with fluids, salt and, when it's not to hot outside, compression hose. I don't have asthma. If anything, I was getting short of breath from the tachycardia and the atenolol helped with that. I did get really tired at first, but after being on it for a little over a year, my body has adjusted and I have more energy.

Atenolol has been a lifesaver for me, but everyone is different. Hope it works as well for you!

Thanks everyone for your input!

I have felt a lot better on the 12.5 dose of atenolol in the mornings. I can actually sometimes go into a store, without feeling like I'm going to collapse from everything going on around me. But by the late afternoon/evening I start feeling poorly again. And forget going to sleep at a normal hour. By then my HR is starting to go up again. That's why the doc is having me take a second dose at dinner. She was a little nervous this morning that my BP would lower more and I would pass out, but I haven't and my BP actually went up! My HR is normal now...72 BPM.

Can a beta blocker make your blood pressure go up instead of down?

Deb

I imagine that if the atenolol slows down your rhythm and your heart doesn't have to work so hard it could bump your bp up a little. I took it for several years and the only side effect I had was being tired, which I already always am, so no big deal. morgan