What is your favorite electrolyte product?

green

Hello All.

I need to drink more electrolyte solution.  I'd like to know what electrolyte product you prefer. I am interested in $-savings.

Best sugar-free / non-caloric ?

Best caloric? (mine is Gatorade)

Does anyone buy bottled water by the gallon and then shove tabs of their favorite electrolyte solution in? I've been thinking about that.

My favorite is a recipe for homemade Pedialyte-like drink.  It has allowed me to function almost normally.  The recipe is from this article:

https://paleoleap.com/all-about-electrolytes/

The article also includes some sugar free paleo recipes and a comparison of some common commercially available drinks.  It is written with the average paleo-inclined reader in mind, not POTSies, but the information is helpful nonetheless.

Not an electrolyte solution per-se but because my body seems sensitive to any drinks with a lot of potassium or extra ingredients in it, I would often just drink salt water and add honey or sugar into it, or squeeze some orange into it that way I could control what was put into it. I have heard some good things on banana bag which is almost like an iv solution type drink. I think each of our bodies reacts to things differently so what might work for some might not work well with others.

I use Nuun and Banana Bag occasionally for convenience but I honestly can't tell if they help and they are expensive. I usually make my own electrolyte drink based on molar ratios of oral rehydration solution. It's easy to make, cheap, tastes good, and I can feel a positive effect if I drink at least 20 oz/day. It's similar to the recipe on the website Lily posted but here is what I do.

In 1 gal jug:

Fruit juice in an amount providing 100 g sugar. I use the non-frozen concentrate on the juice aisle and it comes to ~1/2 can per gal.  Very cheap. 

2 tsp sea salt

2 tsp salt substitute (KCl) 

Fill with water and refrigerate

It's also easy to scale the recipe which worked really well while I was traveling recently.  I mixed up a 1:1 ratio  of the salt and salt substitute and brought that with me. Then I just had to find some juice and add the right amount of it and the salts to my water bottle.  I even used juice from the free hotel breakfast so it didn't cost anything!  

• 4 years later...