Methyldopa

Jessica_

In a previous post someone mentioned they were using Methyldopa that helped with their surges/attacks. Methyldopa is also coming up the more posts I read here. 

I am contemplating asking my doc to switch me from Propanolol to Methyldopa but I’m curious other people’s experiences with it? Does it help calm anxiety too? That’s my biggest symptom right now. The Propanolol helps control heart rate but for whatever reason I’m still in fear 90% of the time. 

Any input would be appreciated :) 

Propranolol is a beta blocker and methyldopa is an alpha blocker.  You only need clonidine OR methyldopa if you have hyper POTS.  Methyldopa blocks the release of norepinephrine and lowers BP, I don’t think it has too much impact on HR. Many of us are on both a beta for HR and an alpha.  Then of course you have to take stuff to increase BP because the other two lower it.  My neurologist equates it to having the gas and brake on at the same time.  It’s a delicate balance until it no longer works and you get to try again : /

• 10 months later...

I haven't been on this board in a long time but to answer your question, Jessica, I'm on Methyldopa and YES, it definitely helps calm anxiety.  I have Hyper Pots and used to sweat like crazy, jump at loud noises and have exaggerated startle responses.  Methyldopa is a centrally acting sympatholytic and decreases all those symptoms.  Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of the drug now.  I'm going to post about this.

Hi Jessica! You know how we have these symptoms in common. I am also considering Clonidine or Methyldopa... I’ve read Clonidine has less side effects but I guess it’s like everything, it depends on the person. My BP is on the low side 90/60. I am taking Atenolol right now to control HR and keep wondering if adding one of the two in a tiny dose could help with the night surges and all other hyper sx... Your BP is higher than mine it may be worth to try... I will ask my doctor next time. Like you, I don’t want to risk messing up things more.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give you a better idea...

I am doing better with MCAS tx :) but the fear and sadness come full force when I more symptomatic. MCAS treatment hasn’t fixed the hyperadrenergic state, but you know what? It has decreased it a bit... Have you considered MCAS?

Hope you find something that works soon❤️

Big hug!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I’ve just seen the posts referring to Methyldopa.  I have just started taking them about a week ago.  I feel I am running out of different tablets to take.  They all seem to have the same effect on me.  Causing tinnitus and dizziness and blurry eyes.  I am a seventy five year old woman, who I felt was fit and well before developing high blood pressure, and all my problems since have been caused by different blood pressure medications.  My question is does anyone else get a bad metallic taste with these tablets.  I have developed this and if it is the tablets don’t think I can carry on taking them as it is starting to make me feel sick.  if any one can answer, I would be so grateful for any advice, I feel I can’t go running to the doctor every time I develop a different symptom, but honestlY feel like giving up on the whole lot of tablets an taking my chances with the blood pressure!!