Hyper POTS and flying?

Jynxlynx

No matter what I search, I can't seem to find any information on how people with Hyperadrenergic POTS respond to flying. I have a short flight coming up in January (approximately 2 to 2 and a half hours) and I haven't flown since developing POTS. I struggle with feeling faint from postural changes (laying down, standing up) due to increasing heart and blood pressure. I'm on a beta blocker to help control it, and to be honest, I'm lucky enough that I don't have very many truly bad days unless I get REALLY dehydrated,  stressed/sick, take a medication that effects my POTS, or am having hormone issues.

I don't know what to expect. I'm hoping to not feel any difference at all as long as I stay hydrated. I discussed this with my doctor, and for my POTS subtype, compression clothing wouldn't help. She said I'd just sort of have to fly and see what happens. My boyfriend is flying with me on the way up. Anyone with Hyper POTS have any experience flying? Any sensations I should anticipate or tips besides staying hydrated and wiggling around when I can?

I was hoping someone with your specific type of POTS would have responded, but in lieu of that, I'll post my experiences.  I'm dx'd with NCS/NMH, and generally hypo across the board.  

I do travel quite a bit, so I've seen my fair share of air travel.  Overall, the airport experience is usually worse for me than the actual flight.   Notably, long security & immigration queues can be quite taxing on my body. I just did a 9+ hour flight and wasn't overly symptomatic in flight, even with some champagne and wine in the flight.  

A few things to think about:

1) Newer planes have better environmental and pressurization systems.  They also tend to be quieter.  Also, beware of rear-engine aircraft, like the CRJs, MD-80/90, and Boeing 717.  Nothing wrong with them UNLESS you're sitting in the back of the aircraft, at which point the noise levels are unbearable.  Sitting closer to the pointy end of the plane can make for a very quiet flight.  

2) Find ways to avoid lines.  Flying at off-peak times can mean the difference between waiting 1 hour vs. 30 seconds in the queues.  You can also arrive early to avoid the rush.  I tend to arrive at the airport at off-peak times and will camp out in the lounge for awhile.  It's also much less stressful.  Also, some airports have multiple security points, with some entrances being busier than others.  No use waiting if you don't have to. 

3) Avoid alcohol & soft drinks on the ground AND in flight.  They will dehydrate you.  Likewise, fresh foods vs. processed junk should be easier on you. 

4) Make sure you're well-rested, or about to collapse.  I use both techniques depending on the flight.  Well-rested means fewer symptoms at the departure airport, but I'll be awake for the entire flight.  Dead tired means I'll be rubbish in the airport but will (hopefully) be able to sleep on the plane so I'll be in good shape upon landing.  

5) Airlines/airports do have wheelchairs.   I'm too stubborn to use them, but they have them available.  Some people will try to game the system and use these to try to get through security / get on the plane first, so don't be surprised if you get push-back from staff if you don't look disabled.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have regular POTS as far as i know. I flew for Christmas for a 2 hour trip. I was ok while in the air and flat. Going up or down with the plane tilted freaked out my vertigo. I took dramamine on the return flight and kept my eyes closed during ascent and descent. I had no lasting effects. I was also on one of the smaller planes. (Held about 150-200 people) i would talk to your main POTS doc if you are worried.

I have hyperPOTS, and I have no issues with flying that I do not also have on the ground.  My biggest problems are standing in line and staying hydrated.  I wear compression hose and load up with salt before going.  I worked on flexibility enough that I can get into a "third world" squat if I need to sit down in line.  I take a salt shaker with me and I empty my water bottle before getting to security.  I refill the bottle on the way through and usually buy another.  If I can walk fast enough through the airport, I will feel better on my way to the gate.  On the airplane I make sure to stay hydrated, and fidget a lot to discourage clotting.