Need advice please

redpeach

I was diagnosed with dysautonomia in 2001. It waxed and waned and got debilitating with horrible migraines in 2003. After a severe vertigo attack in 2009 I was prescribed 20mg valium. I've now been on it for 8 years. I would like to start tapering off but I'm afraid. It's not working like it used to and my doc wants me off. Has anyone out there came off a benzo and made it to the other side? Thanks everyone. 

When you say the valium is not working like it used to how would you describe it? The reason I ask, is that I am on lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. I have been on it as needed since 2008, and now take it once or twice a day.  I do not feel like it is as effective as it was when I first started taking it, but it still helps.

So no, I have not gone off of a benzo and made it to the other side, but I can easily not need it for a day and be okay. I don't think I have ever gone longer than a day or two with out.

@mountain girlI tried tapering earlier in the year and went too fast and crashed. I've now been at my original dose 20mg/ day for the past 2 months and I still feel like I'm in withdrawal. What is happening?? I'm afraid I've flipped a switch in my brain by shocking my nervous system and the valium isn't working anymore. I'm depressed (never been in my life), agoraphobic, can't feel joy. I was fine before this benzo crash. I'm so confused. My doctor has no clue. 

@MomtoGiuliana Thank you for your sweet reply.  I'm so happy your friend is better now. I struggle with the decision to come off the valium and worry so much about getting those horrible adrenaline surges and overall hyper-stimulation at all times. I wish I could talk to someone who had dysautonomia before going through a benzo taper. Everyone I've found developed dysautonomia during or after their tapers. So upsetting...