Metoprolol and midodrine

Angiesemi

Hello,

I have had POTS and SVT for several years. Symptoms have started to get worse over the last few months (more fainting, more palpitations, can't even take my dogs for a short walk without being out of breath ugh). Anyways, my cardiologist suggested putting me on metoprolol with my midodrine and I am both excited (maybe some hope?) and nervous as I am not a fan of passing out (last one I cracked my lip open). Any suggestions or how others have been on it would be greatly appreciated 

Angie 

This is my current Rx treatment regimen. It's working okay for me... I would say I'm 30 percent better on each of these. Midodrine has helped to cut down on passing out or collapsing. I am still not doing great, but it's good to have these. Nighttime is bad because I can't take midodrine when I need it, though. Hence why I'm out of bed before 4am for no reason today :(

For me, I didn't have significant worsening of anything with metoprolol. It makes me a little tired for an hour or two after I take it, but I do that at bedtime so it's welcome.

My cardiologist told me to take beta blockers at night, but I can take another dose or two throughout the day if needed-even though it's "24 hour" time release. 

I definitely didn't have an increase in syncope once starting metoprolol. Maybe a few more PVCs than before but that's about it. Now my heart rate "only" goes to 165! 

I'm working on trying to increase my midodrine without intolerable side effects... and am starting mestinon as soon as the pharmacy gets it in stock.