Anything work to calm vibration, buzzing during night?

KariDK

Hello dear people.  I'm so thankful I found dinet!  Last week, my doctor told me that I have dysautonomia.  I've been struggling with so many symptoms for over 6 years.  I'm really struggling with the vibration, rushing, buzzing during the night.  For some reason, it has gotten a lot worse recently.  It wakes me up at various times, and is especially intense in the 5-7 am timeframe.  My doctor doesn't know the cause of my dysautonomia.  I probably need to be tested for pots, but I don't have the symptoms of super low bp.   I'm going to ask for a cardiologist referral.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with the vibration, etc, during the night?  My sleep has become so poor that it is debilitating.  I often get out of bed feeling like I fought a war during the night.

Thank you for any suggestions--drugs, supplements or otherwise.  My doctor is caring and open to discussing any suggestions I make.

As far as I know, super low bp is not really a diagnostic symptom of POTS. Some people with POTS have low bp, others have high bp, and others have a completely normal bp.

As for the buzzing, and many other sleep related dysautonomia issues, the thing that helps me is sleep hypnosis videos on YouTube. My doctor suggested them and I cannot tell you how life changing it has been. They claim a lot of other benefits like "helps you lose weight" or "gets rid of anxiety" and I ignore all of that. But they are 8 hours long and they definitely help me fall asleep and stay asleep. My doctor said they're often used for PTSD patients because it helps calm the faulty flight or fight signals in their brains, but that they also work to help calm the faulty autonomic signals in dysautonomia brains (since it is, at the end of the day, a neurological condition). According to my heart rate monitor I used to get heart rate spikes of 150+ every single night at around 4am, and they'd often wake me up. Now my heart rate stays steady throughout the night. 

Not lying on my back helps me (I can only sleep lying on my right side now, which has really become a pain because I wake up due to my hands/arm falling asleep).  Also, I follow Cleveland Clinic's protocol of elevating the bed so that I’m not flat (it stopped the vibrations as well as the muscle spasms and leg jerks that I’d get while lying supine) but it has to be the top of the bed raised so that my whole body is on an incline – pillows aren’t enough.  Now I can sit in bed and watch TV without vibrating!  However, every once in a while I wake up vibrating very slightly first thing in the morning (often if I've rolled over onto my back) but once I’m out of bed, I’m fine.

Vepa, those hypnosis videos sound interesting.  Is there any one in particular you could recommend?

I experienced vibrations/buzzing for about a year when things first went haywire. The only thing I can put it down to is my flight/fight being super sensitive. As time has gone on it has stopped but at the time they were very disconcerting. Those calming videos sound worth a try as well as perhaps hypnosis (something I thought about but didn't do).

Hi KariDK,

I sometimes get that buzzing/vibrating. If the hypnosis idea doesn't work well for you, another similar type of relaxation is Yoga Nidra. You can find lots of examples on YouTube or apps like insight timer. It is a very deep guided meditation relaxation practice. Good luck!