POTS and bladders

Nathalie

Why do we potsies pee SoOoOooooooOOOOOoooo much???

I've been experiencing a flare up for the past week and I'm just so tired of being married to my bathroom. Everything I drink goes through my kidneys in 15-20 minutes. I must go 3 times in 1 hour while trying to fall asleep at night. (The thirst is almost just as annoying.)

Even without the flare, it's still frustratingly frequent...just not quite as  bad.

Any suggestions? Anything besides licking the inside of a salt shaker work? This whole week or two, I've had to plan my life around proximity to a bathroom :(

That's annoying to get the constant urge. Please consider to call your primary or gyno and ask if you need to come in and rule out a UTI--a urinary tract infection; the few that I have had made me pee rivers. You may also call the doctor that cares for your dysautonomia and let them know about this change--suddenly you are peeing more than before and it is disrupting your sleep.  In the meantime, you can start a daily sheet of what you are drinking, how much and when.  You may unknowingly be drinking fluids that are/or contain diuretics. Or, volume is toooooooo much. I think keeping a diary will minimally be good documentation for when you see your doctor, it will help them to get you into a maintenance where you have enough fluid but don't give up your rest or sleep. Bring it with you to your doctor visit. There is a balance and I hope you find it soon. 

One of the known causes of POTS is a dysfunction of the system that is responsible for regulatung blood volume through retaining a sufficient amount of fluids (RAAS).  I believe that those with that type will urinate more often.  Frequent urination was actually my very first symptom.

It was my first significant symptom too, Haugr. I had had very sporatic episodes of light-headedness with standing for about 10 years before anything else developed. The light-headedness I completely ignored as a somewhat normal thing that happens to people now and again with position changes...but then the peeing hit. That was a huge thing. I think it was cold, fatigue, and frequent peeing for a few years before the POTS hit full on.

I haven't any suggestions for during the day but have you tried to elevate the head of your bed.  Once I did this I stopped waking up each night to pee.  According to Cleveland Clunic:

• Raise the head of your bed by 6-10 inches. The entire bed must be at an angle. Raising only the head portion of the bed at waist level or using pillows will not be effective. Raising the head of the bed will cut urine formation overnight, allowing for more volume in the circulation in the morning. You may use cinder blocks or bed raising kits.

I bought some heavy duty metal risers from Amazon and they're great!

My understanding is that a big part of dysautonomia is our bodies not properly using the fluid we take in, hence the treatment consisting of a ridiculous amount of salt. Salt (and a little bit of sugar) is what makes the body retain water. 

So I guess if we're not retaining fluids, that would logically lead us to peeing them out faster and more often. Personally, I never, ever drink plain water anymore. Pure Gatorade has too much sugar, but I find a mixture of 1/3 Gatorade and 2/3 water, or a pedialyte or homemade electrolyte solution, drastically reduces the frequency of my urination and improves my dysautonomia symptoms.