Jump to content

am I making too much out of this


gertie
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm told I need a root canal & have put it off for a year.  I am very neurologically sensitive to toxic odors to the point I will pass out for an extended period of time or have a seizure.  One of the odors is the disinfectant used in RC.  My dentist tells me it hardly  has an odor.  He doesn't understand that I am so sensitive to it I can smell the bleach in the drinking water (which I don't drink).   I also have a problem with the dental glues.   It's not only the odor but disinfectant is in the mouth for an extended period of time.    I can't find a dentist that uses an alternative disinfectant.  Also, if I get an infection I can't take antibiotics or steroids.  I guess I can't expect a dentist to understand this.  If I pass out while RC is being done it would be dangerous to swallow this.

Be honest with me, am I being a baby about this?  Should I just go ahead & take a chance which I feel can only end badly?  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you get this done by an oral surgeon and have them put you under anesthesia or is that dangerous too? 

Does the dentist have a plan for when you pass out to handle you swallowing stuff? Has the dentist told you that swallowing the disinfectant is dangerous or are you just assuming it? I mean, I assume it shouldn't be part of your average daily caloric intake, but if it is used in your mouth, I would think they would expect some people to swallow it and require that it isn't lethal.

The alternative to the root canal is having the tooth pulled, but that causes your other teeth to shift and eventually, bone loss. I don't know that this is really a good option. 

Are you in the US? I know there are more option in the US than some other places.

I know a dentist. Do you want me to see if she has any ideas? She deals with me, so she is used to bizarre questions. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know there are a lot of dentists nowadays that do dental work under anesthesia for people with extreme sensitivities. That doesn't address all of your problems, such as the antibiotics, but it could prevent the issues with the odors. I'm also curious why you say it's dangerous to swallow? I've had some serious dental surgery done and everything they used was safe (in that it's not toxic to accidentally swallow a little bit of it, not that I should drink a bottle of it or anything).  

Are you unable to take any antibiotics at all? Is it due to allergy, or something else? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

 

I've had allergic reaction to every antibiotics I've tried for at least 20 years.  The disinfectant that is used is bleach.  If it is accidentally spilled into the mouth it leaves a bad burn.  Although it is used in drinking water I can't see it not being toxic.  Anesthesia is not an option either.  Doctor says avoidance is only answer.  Of course dentist deny any harm because of money.  Same as the mercury issue with them.  I guess I will have to try it.  I do hate to save a tooth & lose more brain cells.  Thanks for all replies!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chlorine - in the limited amounts that it is included in drinking water - 4 parts per million - and the disinfectants that dentists use are all extensively studied and found to be safe for almost everyone.   You might have an allergy or sensitivity, so that is a separate issue.  Although I am not sensitive as you my dentist has been really great about making adjustments so as not to trigger my POTS - even though he doesn't really understand POTS, he listens to me and addresses my concerns.  If your dentist isn't listening, maybe it makes sense to find someone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will you go to dentist or oral surgeon?  My one root canal was done by an oral surgeon.  He was more knowledgeable about medical issues than dentist.  For me, having the root canal done was super important.  I otherwise would have had an infection that would have been dangerous.  It sounds like you need to weigh the costs and benefits.  In most cases from what I know, a root canal saves teeth and prevents infection from taking hold which can be dangerous.

I have some mild sensitivities and hate dental work with a passion--however the root canal was not nearly as bad/hard as I expected it to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Odors and chemicals are tricky things. I have had very frequent migraines that severely heightened my sense of smell to painful levels. NO ONE who does not have this hyperosmia can truly understand. It will be work for you, but you should be able to find an oral surgeon or dentist to help. I have been to the same dentist for over 30 years and they know my quirkiness and even keep specific unflavored/unscented oral products and equipment for me. My neurologist has been a big advocate for me on this type of thing as well. Good luck!

BTW, I just found out that I have an allergy to Chlorhexidine and its used in MANY healthcare and dental settings. Chlorhexidine is also in disinfectant mouthwash and rinses. It can give susceptible people incredibly nasty chemical burns and anaphylactic reactions. You can get skin tested for this to confirm the allergy!

Edited by firewatcher
more information
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gertie, any chance you could set up a meeting with the dentist so that you could get exposure to the scents and chemicals he will be using in a more controlled environment? That way you will know how you are likely to react and he will know what to expect and what work arounds he will need before he gets into the procedure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will be going to an Endodontist for consultation.  Actually one Endodontist has sent me to one of his colleagues because of my sensitivities.  I was not able to use chlorhexidine as a mouth rinse either.  I have not found an allergist in my area that does testing for dental anesthetics.

The dentist & hygienist I went to for 30 years have both retired & I have not found another one I feel comfortable with.  Thanks to everyone for your support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...