Does looking at computers make it worse .

Ebn

Well, I'm not sure, but I'll share what I have found to be true with my daughters.  They have Ehlers Danlos Type III, Dysautonomia, POTS, vertigo, cervical instability, and lumbar instability.  They can't use computers because it affects their vertigo.  We are not sure where the vertigo is coming from, most likely their dysautonomia and EDS.  The pixels, movement of some things and just staring at a screen can all cause it to be worse.  They can look at their iphones as the screen is small enough, but they can't be on them all day or they will end up really dizzy.  Sometimes I think it has to do with too much sensory overload.  What kind of symptoms does your brother have and what happens when he looks at a computer or cell phone?

Sometimes the stimulation on social media can cause sensory overload in some people, just depends on how much stimulation you can take.  I hope he gets some help soon.  Does he have a competent doctor assessing him?  Does he have any other issues like Ehlers Danlos or mast cell issues that would complicate things?  It's so nice you are trying to help him!

This is a problem for me. It definitely increases my dizziness and inability to focus my eyes well. I think my balance is so dependent on visual orientation and so overloaded that my visual centers in my brain become overstressed when I read or look at the computer too much. Many nights I get double vision and have to cover one eye to see well. Some days are better than other days.

1 hour ago, DizzyGirls said:

Sometimes the stimulation on social media can cause sensory overload in some people, just depends on how much stimulation you can take.  I hope he gets some help soon.  Does he have a competent doctor assessing him?  Does he have any other issues like Ehlers Danlos or mast cell issues that would complicate things?  It's so nice you are trying to help him!

Yes he has doctor but wants a second opinion. Needs to get mri done to see if any masses are present .

Thank you so much 

Yes, MRIs are important.  You never want to assume there isn't something like a mass.  I'll elaborate on WinterSown, my girls actually turn around backward to "listen" to tv.  They can't watch it, too much motion and swooping of the cameras these days.  We are currently binging Gilmore Girls.  Lots of dialogue and sarcasm!!  Love it!

I’m ok with the computer screen at my job all day (but I have an anti-glare screen on it and have the brightness turned waaaay down because I can’t stand bright light).  I find what bothers me more is watching videos on the cell phone or some tv shows.  Old movies seem to be totally ok (thank you Turner Classic Movies!) but sometimes I will watch a documentary – like a crime show and there will be a photo of someone the camera is fixed on and then the camera pans out very slowly and I will get really dizzy so I  have to look away for a few seconds and then I’m fine.  Shows with things like moving vehicles are not a problem but the camera panning in and out gets to me and I get instantly dizzy.  Nothing feels as embarrassing as me lying on the bed watching tv and actually feeling like I am going to fall off!  3D movies aren’t always the best thing either and if the camera is a bit shaky then I feel horrible.

A few years back my kids made me take them to the movies.  It was a movie for pre-teens shot to look like one of the kids narrating/staring in it was filming it with his ipad and the camera wasn’t steady.  I didn’t make the connection right away but I started to get very nauseated and dizzy and so did my pre-teen (who thought she was going to throw up so we thought she was sick or ate too much popcorn).  We all had to leave and my husband had to bring the car around because I was actually unable to walk right (I felt like I was drunk and couldn’t stand up) and then my daughter and I had to lie on the bed for a couple of hours until the feeling passed – it was horrible!  I can’t remember the name of the film now but afterwards my husband found an article that told of many people walking out of theaters and given their money back because it made a lot of folks dizzy and sick.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:11 AM, Lily said:

The issue might be the refresh rate of the screen.  Does anyone notice different effects with TVs vs movie theaters vs computers?

I  cannot do movies without diazepam. The speaker vibrations seem to set off my vertigo, the sound is worse than the visual at theatres. I need to wear my headphones or earplugs to go to a movie. I do get buttered salted popcorn and a giant cup of soda. 

On 9/28/2017 at 1:57 PM, mountain girl said:

I also experience dizziness, nausea, become more fatigued when looking at a computer screen for too long. I actually got rid of my smart phone for a flip phone. I like coming to the dinet website for information, but can only do so in short visits.

I also find it can trigger migraines.

Being online can be so tough, thank you for spending some of that precious time here at DINET.

The movie was Tightrope,I think, about the Wallenda's.  

Sounds, a resounding "YES"!! Sound waves produce a vibration and that gets the girls every time.  The bass in a lot of the music.  

Also mentioned was riding in a vehicle, particularly those that are bothered by swooping cameras.  Another "YES"!

There is so much that bothers people with Dysautonomia. 

Yes, I also have issues with moving vehicles.  Normal driving is ok but when we have to take a sharp turn or maybe the driver makes a very fast U-turn I have issues.  I feel like I'm on an amusement park ride and even though the car has finished making the sharp turn, it is like my body gets confused and it still feels like we're taking that turn and I get really dizzy for a minute or two.  Sudden stops or people cutting us off makes my heart race and I sweat bullets.  Otherwise, I can tolerate riding in a car just fine but I do close my eyes and hold on a lot and it drive my husband nuts!