Sign in to follow this  
WinterSown

Drop Attacks.

WinterSown    0

I went to an ENT today, my cardiologist wanted me checked out for labrynthitis; I've been tripping more the past few months. I may not have that. I tested negative on a Dix Hallpike, so no vertigo today. YAY! I was hearing tested in a booth and my hearing is just fine. Yay again! I will be balance tested in ten days; there are some drug restrictions and I won't be able to take my vertigo diazepam script for 48 hours before the test. No coffee 24 hours before the test, either. I'm more freaked about giving up the coffee. The doctor talked to me about Drop Attacks, which I have never heard of, she said I have parts of something called Otolithic Crisis of Tumarkin (another name for Drop Attacks) which could be related to Menier's. Drop Attacks are explained as suddenly falling without losing consciousness , and I usually fall to one side after my world tilts sideways; I always trip towards the right. After the balance test I will likely see a Neurological ENT for something which I can't remember. But I do remember her telling me twice that it is unlikely there is anything that can be done to help the condition. If they can't find the cause they can't treat it. Crisis? Feh! I'll be in my blanket tent coloring and I'm not coming out until dessert. I want cherry pie and darn good coffee.

DizzyGirls    0

Yes, cherry pie and coffee!  I'll join you:D!  My daughters struggle with vertigo too, and they could never do any of the balance testing because it would have been dangerous for them to be off their medicine for 48 hours.  The drop attacks are interesting as my youngest has been falling around 10-20 times a day.  I think hers might be different than yours and it appears to be some sort of instability in her pelvis and whatever connects that to her legs.  She looks like a baby giraffe trying to stand!  I'm going to look these drop attacks up, though....just in case!  I hope you get yours figured out.  It's really hard to get around in this world when you drop all the time!

WinterSown    0

A couple of years ago, prior to any diagnosis, I went through a period of bizarre sensations in my legs that felt like parts of them were gone, not numb, gone. It was as if you had painted them with invisible man paint and they were not there. I was seeing and feeling them but my brain was telling me they were missing. Fortunately, I always had feeling in my knees and ankles; I taught myself to walk without limping. The worst sensation that I could not walk well ever was when my calves vanished--you say walk around like a baby giraffe--that is a perfect description of being so wobbly because it's not just being able to gain your balance, it's also having the strength to straighten your stance and correct your gait. In hindsight, if your Achilles tendons are compromised(?) you are going to have some problems with holding yourself erect and walking.

I turned on the keurig. I have apple cake.

DizzyGirls    0

Oh, I love apple cake and I'll bring my BIG coffee mug!  

That is a really bizarre story!  It's strange, when my daughter puts on any kind of brace, whether they are knee braces, a back brace, etc. it makes her body unable to coordinate itself or hold itself up!  I'll look into the Achilles tendon, too.  You are so right about the balance and strength.  It takes both.  When her legs are tired at night, it's horrible!  I'll have to ask her if she feels like part of her legs aren't there.  She's not mentioned that, but, it might not have occurred to her.  Sometimes you don't notice things until you think about it.  When this all first started, we were at a wedding and it was loud, stuffy, crowded, and had been sitting in one spot far too long.  She suffers from sensory overload, so when you put all those things together, it makes for "baby giraffe syndrome"!  Ha, that's a good name!  She fell three times before we had gotten but 20 feet from our seats!  I think it's a combination thing of dysautonomia, fatigue, instability, and probably something neurological.  We are seeing a neurosurgeon next week and will ask him his thoughts on it.  I'll let you know what he says!

WinterSown    0

Baby Giraffe Syndrome. I do like that name, that's perfect. We have zebras and now we have giraffes. LOVE it! May the neurosurgeon give you some insight into your daughters conditions, I am hoping for their best possible outcome.

yogini    0

Have you been diagnosed with both dysautonima and an ear condition?  i got misdiagnosed with an ear condition but turns out I had POTS only.  

Edited by yogini

WinterSown    0

I am sorry you were misdiagnosed. They will be looking closely at my vertigo and balance history; the physical therapist has already forwarded his notes to the ENT. I have POTS and Vertigo, I don't have any ear conditions otherwise. I had two positive Dix Hallpike tests last year and completed Vestibular PT which helped a lot with my balance and overall strength. 

ishaqamina    0

Have you looked into myoclonic astatic seizures.

my son had this epileptic syndrome where he would jerk as though punched in the stomach and then drop. This increased rapidly week to week till he was medicated . Not sure if it's relevant to you but the " drop" bit just brought back memories

WinterSown    0

I have never heard of that but some is familiar. I am seeing the electrophysiologist tomorrow morning, my physical therapist in the afternoon and the balance test is on Saturday. Hopefully, I can soon stop wearing my monitor, i"m starting to look like an octopus hugged me from all the rings on my chest where I pulled off the pads to change them. I'm not allergic but that glue works really, really well. I know I've got some wacky numbers on the monitor, I want to see what he says.