Worst ever palps when lying down recently

hilfgirl33

Ok, I know I have POTS but lately things have changed for me. My actual POTS symptoms aren't horrible most of the time but I've in the past several weeks (not every night) noticed weird and stronger palpitations when lying down (either side, really). I know there was a post about this before but it has become notably worse. Last night it literally felt as if my heart was jello - jiggling around in my chest and beating faster than usual. What helped was actually taking my Ativan and lying on my stomach.

I am going to make an appt with the cardiologist (i've been bad about this because I've been feeling well). I looked this symptom up on google and it was always related to MVP or regurgitation.

I had an echo two years ago that was negative for MVP, but I'm thinking that I should have another....

Also I think I read somewhere that you can have a sticky valve that doesn't show all the time on standard tests. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for any help.

One last thing - when my POTS symptoms were bad I was getting brain chills (numbness and pins and needles feeling in my head). I haven't had them in a while but last week I had that same sensation in my cheek). Has anyone had cheek numbness? That symptom was definitely a weird one that I hope doesn't return.

Hi,

You are not alone! Since the beginning I get a numb-like feeling and creeping tingling in an area that goes from my left cheekbone to the left side of my nose to the top of jaw bone and just to my ear. I share the details only because it is so weird that it is always the same space and this has been almost 4 years. It is only my left side never my right. It happened just yesterday when I was resting but it most frequently happens when I am in the car and the sun is shining strong on that side. Drives my neuro crazy...he was sure it was some type of mild seizure but he can't find anything so we chalk it up to POTS.

You should definitely mention it to your doc though and see what he thinks. BTW, mine can last several minutes or maybe an hour at most.

Good luck to you and sorry you are having a setback. I hope you get back on track soon.

Hi,

Please do see a cardiologist. My sister has atrial fibrillation and describes it as a "jiggling feeling". There are probably several different things that can cause the jiggling feeling, and a good doctor will be able to check into it for you.

Best wishes,

Michelle

Guest tearose

Wow, amazing how things seem to happen to several of us at the same time...I just spent this week following up on my heart and facial numbness issues! I too have MVP with mild floppiness that I usually ignore. Be reassured that there are times your MVP can look (on an echocardiogram) worse and times it will look mild. This is not unusual. Just know that if you have a "sloppy/floppy" valve you really should take antibiotics before dental proceedures and invasive surgery. My echocardiogram of last year found some fluid around the heart called pericardial effusion and I needed to follow up to make sure it wasn't getting larger. Once again we don't know what caused it so again it is an unknown. I feel that on top of the POTS these heart challenges can happen since our hearts are getting such intense daily work outs! I get my official report on Wednesday, however the cardiologist didn't think the effusion got worse. He needs to look at last year's report and also look at any changes in the ejection fraction to see if my heart is doing okay.

As for the facial numbness. I get a cold, numb feeling like someone gave me novacaine in the left side of the face. It doesn't hurt, just feels very wierd and is bothersome. This was only the third time I experienced this in the last six months and I've had POTS for 13 years! I was trying to be more active after recovering from a sinus infection...I think I was trying to do too much too soon. I am just proposing that both my heart and nerves were probably on overload and both reacted by getting inflamed. My neurologist said that the nerves that go to the face were in a group of "plexus" nerves from deep within the chest up to the face. It should resolve on its own. Again I wonder if it relates to the POTS, or the MVP. When I get more information from the doc on Wednesday I'll post any new insights.

<_< I second what everyone else has said. I too have had extreme heart palps lately especially when I lay down. The doctor said it was from the change in position. I did go and have my heart checked out to make sure. Always better to be safe. Cathy

I am on beta blockers (atenolol) but I notice at night that I get a little bit more "palpy" and attribute it to the atenolol having worn off. I agree with everybody here that you should follow up on it though.

This is so strange about the face numbness! I've never thought about since it was months ago, but right before I got sick last summer, before the full-blown fallout hit, I would often have numbness and tingling on my cheek and sometime around my mouth. Boy it was a strange sensation. I attributed it to smoking and also to my medical transcription...which sounds wierd but let me explain...when I transcribe, I'm really flying, and sometimes I think I'm not breathing correctly...like breathing fast and shallow similar to hyperventilation and I'm not really aware I'm doing it at the time so I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough oxygen or something. Bottom line is, for whatever reason, yes I've experienced it too.

Also, boy I hate to bring this up because it makes me have to remember it, but the strongest palpitations I ever had happened when I took Ativan (and similar other anxiety meds)...when they wore off, sometimes I would have an intense episode of tachycardia and palpitations and feel like my heart was beating out of my chest. I've read about things and attributed it to "rebound anxiety" which happens sometimes from benzodiazepines. Do you notice it in relation to dosing of your meds?

Also, Tearose, I look forward to what you find out from the doctor...interesting about the plexus nerves thing.

Well my doc is out of town but I'm seeing him next Wed when he gets back. I did mention it to the receptionist and that is why she fit me in earlier. I guess if it happens again I'll go to th ER (YUK). Thank God it hasn't but I have anxiety about laying down now !! (when before laying down was the only thing that made me feel good).

I don't know about the rebound anxiety. I had taken my nighttime dose about 1/2 hour before I went to bed (I usually do). Then when it happened I took another 1/2 mg.

I had what I call brain chills when things were bad but never cheek numbness.

One thing I thought of was about 1/2 hour before bed my DH brought home cookies from McDonalds. I have been really excellent about my sugar intake lately, but I did have half a cookie - which I haven't had pure sugar in a while. I was thinking it could be a reaction to this.

I'll let you know what the cardiologist says.

Thanks for your replies :) !

Elaine

My wife's doctor said there is nothing they can do about the palps at all. The beta blockers are supposed to help at night, but will never eliminate them. She has also had to reduce her doseage significantly because of other side effects. The response she got was basically, "There is nothing we can do for that".

The sensation of palpitations can happen for various reasons--some are completely benign, and some require intervention. There's no back up system if the heart is having "glitches" that are serious, and your outward sensations may not be a decent indicator of the seriousness. The doc might order an EKG and other possible tests, and the doctor really needs to be the one to make that call regarding seriousness of the issue... Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but if it's out of 'your' ordinary, get it checked out. Again, way better safe than sorry.

Hilf, I look forward to hearing what the doctor has to say. :)

Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Guest tearose

How are you doing hilfgirl33, are those palps lessening? What did the cardiologist say? I am also dealing with facial numbness, it is resolving slowly. My neurologist said the nerves responsible for this numbness are the brachial plexus nerves. I read up a little on these nerves, they are deep in the chest, in the shoulder area. You also may find it interesting to know that sleeping on your left side may be further inflaming the nerves. Try another position if this applies to you. I am also starting to work with an osteopath, seeing the posts here made me decide to see if this may help both the brachial plexus nerves and my overall pots problems. Hope you are doing better.

One more thing, I feel terrible reading that people feel sugar may be taboo! I never considered this a problem and I love my sweets! With all our challenges and everything we can't have and do...now I have to give up my one vice? It there anything left? I think I'm going to refuse to believe this for now...besides there is some cake in the kitchen with my name on it...Be well, tearose

Tearose,

I haven't had the palps nearly as bad as they were. I do have a hormonal problem (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and I haven't had a period since early January and I think now that the palps were worsened because I was ovulating -or trying to - just a few weeks ago when this happened and now I'm getting ready to expect my period.

I couldn't see the cardiologist til this Wednesday as he was out of town. If things got/get worse, though, I was definitely willing to go get it checked out before that at the ER.

Thanks for asking. THe facial numbness too has been pretty much gone, too, although when I'm getting really fatigued I feel it creeping up a bit. Definitely a weird new symptom!!